Help me identify what XS400 this is! and why its so hard to start!

fdsafdsa

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
bought this bike for $600 the guy told me the carbs needed cleaning, so i clean them but now I've realized that this bike has a really hard time being started i think its either because most components need to be adjusted such as the valves and the carbs (more on that later)

I'm pretty sure the engine has good compression because sometimes when i try and kickstart it the engine will stop compress pretty damn hard almost like it needs to decompress (unlike my 450r this bike does not have a decompresser) I've started to think that maybe the kicker is broken or not working as it should because the swing is very short.

Another issue with this bike is that i have no idea what year it is or what type of engine it has (dohc or sohc) i know it has an electric starter but that doesn't work. :wtf:

TLDR Need help identifying this bike and its engine so that i can try and adjust valves, carbs and such. Once the bike finally does start it will idle pretty low unless i change the idle screw, throttle response is pretty fucking weird too as in i will full throttle some times and it will take a couple of seconds to react. First thing i wanna try and fix on this bike is making it easy or easier to start instead of having to struggle every single time Please Help:banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 427
1980 sohc xs400-G Is the bike. The manual can be downloaded for free in the forum. Lots of threads on maintenance. Also any changes to the stock intake or exhaust will cause tuning problems. Which looks like yours has had done.

Back