help regarding choke/pet cock

BRATneveRAT

XS400 Member
Reaction score
i have a 1980 xs400 special...first time with a bike...and a oldy...starts fine...i feel as the batt dont really charge, also the bike wen im revving it back fires not hard but it pops...wen i pull the choke all the way out it wants to die same as in the middle...and wen i hit the throttle the carbs suck in air deep and rpms drop...but in the high rpms it doesnt....new plugs i replaced already...bike is completely stock......juss need some insight

First off, welcome to the forum....if you give a little of an intro about yourself, you will get a lot more hits on your questions....just a little tip.

Secondly, there are a lot of older fellas here that aren't going to understand what you say if you type like you're writing a text message....hell, I'm 25 and I still had a hard time reading it....haha

About your questions...
1) Why do you feel like the bike won't keep the battery charged? A little more info than just that would help...
2) The other situations that you described just sound like dirty carbs to me. Or maybe a malfunctioning choke lever? Have the carbs been cleaned at all? Also, have you set the float levels and the idle screw yet?

Can we get some more information?

Sounds to me like it is running lean. Clean the carbs and check for air leaks...then clean the carbs again...then clean the carbs again, then again. Then adjust the idle mixture screws 3 to 3.5 turns and try it again.

thanks guys i made post during work so i really couldnt type everything out. i havent cleaned carbs so once another random warm day aomes around im gonna tear them off and clean them.
I'm not used to carburators, im a car guy. drag racer, full boost 11 second honda guy so this to me is so different. im really into this type of bike the 1980 xs400 but wat i was honeslty looking for was 650 and found this one for cheap...$250.
i wanna go with a cafe racer tank and clip on handle bars and totally cafe the front end and from the tank back i want to do a hardtail bobber with rear sets.
im a clean the carbs first and then keep you guys posted

thanks guys i made post during work so i really couldnt type everything out. i havent cleaned carbs so once another random warm day aomes around im gonna tear them off and clean them.
I'm not used to carburators, im a car guy. drag racer, full boost 11 second honda guy so this to me is so different. im really into this type of bike the 1980 xs400 but wat i was honeslty looking for was 650 and found this one for cheap...$250.
i wanna go with a cafe racer tank and clip on handle bars and totally cafe the front end and from the tank back i want to do a hardtail bobber with rear sets.
im a clean the carbs first and then keep you guys posted
No harm, no foul man. Your plans sound pretty good, I'll definitely be keeping up with this one. Go though the carbs really well, and plan on having to do it again more than likely...these old bikes don't like gummed carbs! lol

Take a look around, and keep us posted. Good luck man!

hahaha defenitly man i really appreciate it.im sure you guys are really gonna love the turnout, cuz im really excited to build this..lol

will do a build thread also/ im a real big picture guy so have some memory in your computer ready...thanks hardtail bro

Welcome to the forum and XS400 ownership! Read through past threads, especially those on carbs. You will find a lot of helpful info. As others have said, these CV carbs don't like being gummy and dirty. Heck, they don't even like to stand idle through the Winter not having gas running through them regularly. Besides cleaning, one of the biggest problems is bad "O" rings at the bottom of the idle mix screw on the top of each carb. Yours may be covered by a tiny plug with a hole in it. Drill out the plug to get to the screw. If the plug has already been removed, suspect that someone has messed with the screw and maybe broken off the long, slender tapered tip by cranking the screw down too hard. Remove each screw and carefully inspect. Also, be certain to get the "O" ring out. Often, it will stick down inside the hole. Hardened, leaky "O" rings can affect idle and low rpm performance. Start with 3-3.5 turns out and fine tune from there if necessary.

Too bad you young guys don't know how real engines used to work, ones you could fix on the side of the road if they quit. LOL My '77 Mercedes 230 gasser once had a coat hanger holding the carb (side draft) tight against the rubber isolator block on the intake manifold when the block developed a split and air leak while on a trip. Got home w/o incident and replaced the block at my leisure!

will do man thanks Oliver, yea man i want a 77 mercedes to air bag it on some bbs rs wheels..lol. I gotta rip these carbs off and take a look at them

My '77 Mercedes 230 gasser once had a coat hanger holding the carb (side draft) tight against the rubber isolator block on the intake manifold

.. sounds like more of a jimmy rig than a fix to me

Back