Hi all, new UK member with a shed of a XS250

jonuk

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jon, I live in Birmingham, England.
I am 27, have been ridding for the last 4 years, I have a Kawasaki ER6N

Brought a 1980 XS250SE off ebay for £165, non runner in rough shape.
Planning on getting it running and ride able again.

Love the site already :thumbsup:

LMFAO nice one Drewpy! :laugh:
Welcome Jon, I'm pretty new as well & there is a great combination of information & helpful people. I started on a ninja 250 & that was plenty power for me..little bikes=fun!

lol

Ok, here is a pic of each of my bike's

Working on the XS yesterday, striped the head off the engine with a struggle, the left hand piston was totally seized in the head, had to smack it out and lever the head off the piston :yikes: Might seem stupid and brutal but did the trick :laugh:
The piston rings are totally rusted into the piston.

Once we could see the top of the pistons we found a 10mm layer of mud and very fine grit (1-2mm particles) don't know how the hell it got in there.

Looks like we have a total tear down and rebuild on our hands :D

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG232.jpg
    IMG232.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 169
yer, I see the plugs are off it ouch!

get a 400 engine in there, It'll fit right in. get the carbs with it too.

the rest should be straight forward.

I would like to put a 400 engine in but it is a joint project, and any ideas of a cafe racer or street tracker have been dismissed already.

Normal strip and cheap rebuild are on the cards

Last edited:
If I recall you can put some ATF in the bores and wait a day and then crank it a bit...repeat...until it breaks free, then change oil.

Cheers drew, will do it next time ;)

Used some wd40, brute force and sheer bloody mindedness

There are no scratches to the bore but there is a ring of rust from where the piston was seized.
I believe the kick start is broke, it is very free moving. Will be next thing we look at Sunday.

With the engine in neutral we can turn the engine over by spinning the sprocket by hand so at least the bottom end seems ok for now.

Back