"Hi" From New Member

63-Coupe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I just want to say “Hi” from Waterdown Ontario. I stumbled across this forum a couple of weeks ago and it appears to be an excellent resource for everyone that is using it. I have an XS400SJ that I bought a couple of years ago for a song. It had been over 25 years since I had a motorcycle, the last one was a V45 Magna, and the main thing I wanted this one for was for running around town instead of putting gas in the F-250. It also has the advantage of being small enough that I can manhandle it up a set of ramps into the box of the F-250 for when we go away on vacation, we tow a 28’ travel trailer.

Last Fall the bike started running rough, then decided to only run on one cylinder, then finally wouldn’t start at all. With all the time constraints of putting away my other toy, winterizing and storing the trailer, getting the snow blower mounted on the tractor, etc, etc, etc. I just put gas stabilizer in the bike, pulled the battery, and put the cover over it until Spring. Now that Spring is here I have taken a closer look. It appears that the engine is not getting much fuel but most troubling is that the compression is very low, especially on one side. Also, now that I have learned a little more and have had time to look it appears this engine is not original to the bike, it has a 4R4 prefix on it (1981) and my bike is a 1982.

To make things interesting I just picked up another XS400SJ that has low miles (11,600 km) and what appears to be at this point a good original engine. It has however hit something and one of the forks is bent and the gas tank has been heavily dented. The other problem with it is that the starter tries to work but won’t. The bike will however start on the first or second kick every time. Cosmetics are only so-so.

I guess you can all see what is coming by now and that is an engine swap. I have a Haynes manual, a good double car garage to work in, ample tools, and enough mechanical experience to take this on although I do not however have much experience on motorcycles. One big advantage I do have is time as I am retired and I also do not depend on this bike as primary transportation.

As I get into this project over the next few weeks you may be hearing more and more from me because I figure at some point I will likely get myself in over my head. At minimum, once the project is finished, I will likely be selling the parts bike & 4R4 engine as a unit or if no one is interested I will strip it of the good stuff for myself and part out the remainder. To early to tell which way that will go so stay tuned.

I do have one question to start with. Anyone have any experience or suggestions for cleaning up and/or painting the cooling fins on the engine? The engine on the parts bike is pretty ugly in that area.

In the pictures below the one with the top box is the "Good" bike. The one without the top box is the parts bike.

Attachments

• The Good Bike 1 Resized.JPG
    The Good Bike 1 Resized.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 244
  • The Parts Bike 3 Resized.JPG
    The Parts Bike 3 Resized.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 259
Welcome to the forum!! I used a wirewheel on a drill and some engine degreaser to clean up between the fins on my motor.

Welcome to the forum!

What was the condition of the battery when you tried the electric start? I ask because these bikes need a battery in good condition and with a full charge to properly operate the electric starter.

The battery is brand new and I also tried another older but known to be good battery.

It's probably bad connection, bad ground, or brushes. I am going to mess with it a bit first before I pull the engine out of the bike but I am not too concerned because my original bike has a good starter I can use.

Welcome! I've got some good friends from Ontario that we spend the winter months in Florida with. They introduced me to "Caesars" (bloody marys with Clamato juice) and I introduced them to Yuengling beer. I plan to stay off both while riding. Good luck with the rebuild!

Back