Hi

Unkle Crusty

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I just joined. Real name is Michael Casling, from Gabriola BC.
Generally called Unkle Crusty, or Crusty Snippets if I write something.
I have an 83 XS400 Seca.
It was a bit trashed but I changed the engine and a few other things.
Currently have the swing arm out. Have the bearings and cups and spacers. Rear wheel bearings too. But the shaft is not good, like others. Found a new one on ebay UK. On Monday I will go to the machine shop in Duncan BC to ask if they can repair the old shaft.
The boots to the air filter are also not available around here. So I will install 2 K&N filters. Have cut off the forward area of the air box.
Jetting was messed up by the PO and his service shop. Will try two 125 main jets soon. Tank has been sealed inside. Just sanded and painted the main parts an ugly purple colour similar to the way it was.
Also own a 79 XS11 and a 006 SV1000.
The 400, Deep Purple will be my winter bike.

Unkel Crusty

Thank you BBS. I am fairly new to these diaphragm carbs, but had been told about the benefit of the boots. Have run the non diaphragm carbs, without filters on the race bikes, as many others do. Have run them with filters on the dirt bikes. I will study the tube / boots today. As a matter of expediency I may connect the K&Ns directly. Trying to get this bike running by the end of November. Can do that if I can get the swing arm shaft repaired in Duncan. Find out Monday. Where in BC are you?

Unkle Crusty

I'm just down in Victoria.

Still trying to get my first bike running, a 76 XS360. Going to try to get it turning over this weekend, weather permitting.
My workshop is the back yard. :(

I had been working in Victoria up til early 013. Had my boat there to stay on, Brought boat back to Gabriola this summer. Built a shed last year so have a little room to work under cover. Raining again here.
My 400 is from Victoria.
Good luck with getting your running. The small bikes are better for around town.

Unkle Crusty

Back