How Do I Take Disassemble the Top End

ruler7171

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions/pictures/video of dis-assembly of the top end? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a gasket that is leaking. Is this the
cylinder base gasket?

Attachments

• xs400 engine.jpg
    xs400 engine.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 218
Hey mate its pretty easy dont be intimidated. I am a total newb and rebuilt the whole motor no probs. Just follow the manual and you cant really go wrong...unless you killed all your brain cells with alcohol :) Seriously, replacing the head gasket is a breeze. You dont even have to remove valves or pistons or anything, just disassemble, clean up the gasket surfaces, and reassemble with new gasket. You will need gasket goo for the head, I used threebond 1211. I think the manual states 'yamabond' (same thing).

Just on a side note...if you gave a monkey enough peanuts, a torque wrench, and all the required replacement parts, he would successfully rebuild the entire motor.

Ruler7171, We can help, but as always, We need to know a little bit about your bike, If you get use to doing forum searches, you might be able to find exactly what your looking for, I typed manual, and hit search. With in two clicks, I found the link to all "ALL" the manuals. I will save you a click,

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503

Good luck!
Tobie

PS Google will find things that are just as applicable, in various other forums, XS650 to Yamaha owners to various others, you just have to put everything into the search. Same with YouTube, some of us(not me) have posted videos of how to just about anything nameable on youtube. good luck

Back