How much is my XS 400 worth?

Al Perry

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS 400 that I bought circa 2000. I did a ground-up restoration including lots of new stainless hardware, rubber, new gas cap, new bars, Progressive shocks, a polyurethane paint job and a factory shop manual. The bike has less than 12,000 miles and runs very strong. My basic question is how much are these bikes going for? I'm located in Colorado now. Thank you.

Last edited:
This is a question most of us avoid with a righteous fervor because while we enjoy and cherish our bikes, the open market does not hold them as dear.....and we can't bear to compare what we have spent on them with what we could sell them for.

Post some photos if you can. I've always been a proponent for "cool" factor. Having a mechanically sound bike is a basic requirement, but looking great is what is going to fetch top dollar.

I think most young people looking for a starter bike don't like the old style and many older guys want something bigger.

It's funny though; I get more comments and stares directed at my xs400 than my modern gsx-r 750 :)

in nebraska where i live, i have seen the xs400 79-81 specials run an average of 800 dollars. Some custom ones i have seen (bobbers, cafe racer, etc..) i have seen bring in around 1600 (on the high end). The straight restorations (few mods or aftermarket changes) will ususally bring in around 1000 (again on the high end).

My suggestion to you if you want to sell it would be start it out above the high end and negotiate down to what you think it is worth to you. Done this for years with everything i sell and i end up ahead of the game every time. The last car i sold was worth 1500 blue book value and i had it listed for 3grand. After negotiating with several different potential buyers i ended up selling it for 2200 for a profit of 800 (after my cost to buy it and fix it).

Be prepared to hold this bike for a long time doing it like this. I held on to the car for 10 months constantly advertising it before i got the first bite and had it a year and a half before i actually sold it. :thumbsup:

bought it for 200...making it run then letting a family member use it whenever she wants. she has no bike but has her licence and only get to ride when my other aunt let her ride her 2000 softail. which is rarely... so seeing her smile when i tell her it hers to use whenever is priceless to me personaly

:shrug: put it on ebay and find out

supply (too many) and demand (not much), factor in time of year and good luck. selling on eBay is going to show you what the worldwide market is willing to give you.

Without pictures? $600, maybe! But only if the "ground-up restoration" includes the shop manual!

Here is a typical hopeful ad

$800 YAMAHA BLACK 1981 400CC - I am selling my 1981 yamaha 400 special that is in great condition. Low miles\ vintage due to all original parts\ electric starter and kick starter\ adjusted lifters\ good tires\ color is all black.. No trades just cash. I have the title and the first with the cash gets this great motorcycle.

Lots Of Luck LOL

While many of us would not pay top dollar because we want to start with a low price bike and do the work ourselves to save money, there are folks who will pay more for a cherry original or one restored because they don't want to do the work. Personally, I don't think $1,000-1,200 is too high - maybe even more. I know an eBay seller who regularly sells nice original XS400s for a little over $1K. My son sold his '81 Cafe conversion for $2,300 this past Summer and it still needed a little work. Surprised the heck out of me! Of course, this is a bad time of the year to get top dollar.

paid 150 for mine with a stuck enigne. new case, rings and a full stock rebuild on the engine. im in it about $900+? o yeah, and i cut the ass end off it too. one more thing, when i drilled out the lock for the seat, i found the title. 5th actual owner. 3rd on paper ;)

Back