I don´t really know how to cut my exhausts..

MicroGarajeAntiguo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

This is my first post in this awesome forum. Regards to all of you!

At the same time, I would like to ask you a quick question. I am planning to separate pipe & exhaust to interchange some new models and the original one, however, I don´t really know where to cut exactly as the pipe is inlaid in the exhaust.

Any suggestion?

Thank you and apologizes for my English!

Last edited:
Hi Francisco

Welcome to the other side of xs400. Your english is great by the way. The best I can do in spanish is order a beer (or two).

As for seperating your exhaust if I understand correctly you just want to split them at the joint. Correct? Splitting a weld really isn't hard. If you have a grinder or a cut off wheel on a die grinder you just just work around the weld (cutting close to the middle of the weld bead). Cut around the weld little by little every so often just try breaking the two pieces apart by breaking them across your knee.

This is for a pipe that is slipped into another pipe. If they are just butt welded just cut right through the weld.

You can also use a sanding disc to just grind away the weld that sits proud of the surface and this may be enough to split the two pieces. Just be carefull most people sand round surfaces wrong and end up doing more damage that can't be repaired easily.

Shaun

First of all, thank you very much for your reply; knowing how to say "beer" in a foreign language is really important to survive, you are right..

As for the issue, the thing is that the surface is not continuous, in other words, the shape joint is like a "L" (the exterior exhaust circumference is bigger than the pipe one) so using a DREMEL to grind is almost impossible, otherwise I´ll damage the exhaust surface.

In addition, the welding quality is stunning so once I grind a little bit I can´t differentiate between exhaust and pipe, just because the piece is one totally homogeneous.

:banghead:

welcome Francisco

you may have to weld in an interim pipe, and get them re-chromed. then you can use a slip on rear silencer of your choice

Back