ID the desert warrior

Bart Zammit

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys and gals so I work on a mine in the middle of nowhere Western Australia and I just received the following pic from a mate who is up on site at the moment. Just wondering if I can get any ID on the bike he found it in the bush randomly and we are hoping to be able to do something with the old girl any help would be appreciated
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3567.JPG
    IMG_3567.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 205
Looks like an early 70's RD 200 or 250 maybe. The block will tell cc size.

Nice
Yea I'm not much of a guru on bikes and I haven't seen it myself yet so we will be hopefully picking it up on Thursday an old 2 stroke would be pretty cool
Cheers for the thoughts

Time isn't the issue could be the money let's cross fingers that everything works perfectly and it only needs a quick clean

I'd say that it's an RD400! you can always tell, by the cooling fins, on the heads, and the capacity, should be cast into the lower part of the barrels, where it joins the crankcase!

merlin

Cheers for the feedback hopefully I can go get it Thursday and I will be able to get some more photos for everyone and solve this mystery

IMG_3582.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3583.JPG
So today we picked the old girl up appears to be a RD250 hopefully have it on a truck back to Perth tomorrow and then we can start whatever it is that we are doing. She seems pretty sad but I think it has a lot of potential which hopefully a good scrub and removing some of the buggered parts will show. I know this is an xs forum so if you don't want it in here I'll start a build log on another page.

Nice find. It does look like it needs a TON of work though. Id start with the engine and get an idea of what parts are hard to find/costly so you dont make things unusable during a tear down.

Back