Im new and need an air filter!

cudacrazy73

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys I just joined here because i am the proud new owner of a 1980 xs400. third owner bone stock 20,000km. Runs pretty good so far only issue is a bit of a funky idle. when cold it needs to be helped a bit but once warm idles fine. after long rides the idle gets a bit high. other than that she's awesome. I did an oil and filter change today and went to clean air filters and found them completely disintegrated. So im afraid to ride. I found an old forum talking about K&N RU-2970 filter bolts right up instead of the h tube. I dont want loose reliability on this bike. Its my first bike i just want to learn to ride the streets and have some fun. should i opt for OEM filters or will this K&N option be ok? I really dont want to start messing around with my carbs as the bike is running quite nice. but a washable filter seems economical. any suggestions? thanks guys

You can still get oem's from yamaha and mikesxs has them also. I have even seen them on ebay for cheap. They are made of foam and can be washed or just blown out with an air gun. Your bike will run it's best with a stock setup with these.

If you have old filter with foam, you can order just a sheet of filter foam & with a little bit of handwork replace old one. ;)

Back