intro/build cafe/brat style 78'

just wanted to pop in and assure you all I'm still working on the 78'. Few other projects fell in my lap this fall (QT50, CL400) and I didn't get quite where I wanted before the cold MN weather hit. Should be back in business soon with New/modified seat, new lights front and back, new paint on tank and wheels, get some new shoes on the ole girl and a couple odds and ends.

Finances have slowed this to an absolute crawl. Got tired of looking at the bike torn apart and rotting in the corner of my garage, so wrapped up what I could and put it back together. After sitting for close to a year. :doh: We are back on the road.:bike:

Slight update, been a busy month with the holiday and tons of overtime. Didn't lave much time for the bike. I have gotten it running at a state I can live with. :thumbsup: ended up lowering the needles some and the plugs are pretty brown. Pulls great threw first few gears, still kinda sluggish if I hammer it around 4-5k in 4th or 5th. I just ride around that. :D

My headlight was cracked and during inspection I found it was soldered on, no plug to be had. I have plans to eventually replace the headlight and bucket completely as mines rather trashed, so I resoldered a stock light I had laying around.:redface: Boy does the light output suck.
View attachment 26967
I got a universal build your own clutch cable for my front brake. Pretty straightforward but as it was my first solder cable I measured 3-4 times before cutting and soldering. Turned out good and now have working front brakes. Of course my first pull of the lever and the front end dives, I was only rolling out of the garage.:doh: So looks like fork rebuild is in my near future. For now I plan to throw some fresh oil and hope for the best.
View attachment 26968
On a side note I've noticed some pretty bad head shake when cruising around town. Could this be from the super soft forks? Or maybe the lack of front fender? (read it acts as a fork brace) I plan to cut it down and paint it, just wasn't a priority. Maybe I need t make it one.
:cheers:
I would put the fender, or another brace, back on the bike. That might calm the shake.

Fender's cut down and back on. Helped the headshake a little. New tires and rebuilt forks seemed to do wonders though. Bike is incredibly stable now, at all speeds. Like a whole new bike. And an absolute joy to ride.

Back