is it possible to convert ignitions points

In theory, I don't see a problem with it: both fire based on the position of the camshaft. You would need to swap out the entire system, save for maybe the ignition coils. The base plate to the pickup coil looks very similar to that of the breaker points, but I don't know if they are interchangeable. I haven't read about anyone doing this swap though, so there may be some important detail I'm overlooking. The biggest detail I see is mounting the timing indicator to the camshaft, might be worth seeing of the shafts themselves can be swapped.

The 77-79 uses a 4 wire from the stator where the 80-82 uses a 3 wire. The extra wire is for the points. The 77-79 uses a 4ohm coil where the 80-82 has 4ohm ones.

Last edited:
I've heard of many people doing the conversion....but why? Sure there are a few periodic adjustments to points, but if the parts are all good, that's maybe once a year. There is no performance advantage.

Can you use both at same time?

mine uses contact assisted electronic ignition made by gigavolt from Germany.

You can buy kits from radioshack if your feeling the need to get your soldering iron tips out! I bought one kit, but you need two and are quite bulky.

Back