Issues issues issues

mattg666

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, I have a 1980 xs400. I basically just had the rolling chassis so I just built a little chopper out of it. I rode it for a while, a charging issue popped up so I set it to the side and built up my xs650 and road that. So I finally sold it and here is where all the issues started. I went ahead and rewired it because one of the wires coming from the armature were frayed and so I figured that’s where the charging issue was. Then put gas to it to get it going and somehow from sitting on the kick stand and drained of all gas, the carb body cracked, no idea how that happened. So I replaced the carbs, rode it. Charging issue was still there because t died. So I replaced the armature and seems to have fixed the charging issue. But now for some reason the right cylinder is not firing, I’m at a loss... it has spark, and it’s getting gas and ran perfectly fine before the armature was replaced... it also has compression.... does anybody have any possible ideas on what the issue could be??? I took the plugs out and checked the spark when kicking and it has good spark. Anything will help, thanks!

Check valves and timing. Id start there even though it could be a bad coil or something. Get fresh plugs too and cut the wire ends off to get a good contact with the wire and plug boot..

Yeah it wa brand new plugs, I think I figured it out, it’s a brand new vm30 carbs and I think it’s a faulty float needle and seat. I think it’s clogged so the bowl isn’t filling with gas

Because the stock ones somehow developed a crack in the carb body and I couldn’t find any on eBay that weren’t in terrible condition...soooo gotta do what ya gotta do...

Wow that's really odd I see them all over the place.

XSChris was selling a nice set on here to...…

How do you like the new set up ? Besides the fact the float bowls are messed up.....

They were working great, I think there is just some debri in the inlet chamber blocking the float needle from going all the way up... I like the round slides though, especially on the xs motors. I ran them on my 650 as well. And at the time I did find some on eBay and ordered them and they came in and were hammered dog shit and seized. Nothing like the picture...so I wasn’t about to spend the same amount going through eBay carbs when I could spend the same amount on the new vms and not have to spend money to rebuild them

filter on the fuel line ?

No way would I not run a filter as most of the tanks have who knows what in them......

Back