LED Speedometer and tach wiring

cougarlb4

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anything I will have to know in order to wire up a new speedometer with LED backlight and indicators built in. I wired them all up but my bike is winterized so I dont know if it works yet. I hear people talking about adding resistors to LED bulbs to avoid to much current. Would most pre-built speedos have this already? Any info would be great! Thanks!

You shouldn't have trouble with the speedo, only turn signals or lights. Our bikes have a "safety" system that does a fast flash if a bulb is out. LEDs trick the system because they have such a low draw, so the lights flash constantly.

There is no equivalent safety system for your gauges, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

That said, even winterized, you can always hook up the battery and turn the bike on (but don't turn the engine over) and see if your gauges light up or not...

Looking into doing a speedo conversion with LED....Just curious if this worked out for you? Or did you have to add resistors?

Just buy LED replacement bulbs. They are designed to be a direct replacement. If your bike has a single turnsignal indicator, you may have to do some wiring. At least I think I read that here when I did a search for LED bulbs. I'm sure another search would provide the answer.

LEDs have polarity, that is they only light up when connected in the proper + - configuration so if the signal layout uses a single indicator lamp (uses other side signal as ground) with a incandesent bulb you need two LEDs wired as + - and - +

Attachments

• LED.PNG
    LED.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 246
Here's a speedo wiring question:

I have a new speedo with a single turn signal indicator light. The stock unit has two separate indicator lights.

Can I simply bridge both wires coming from the indicators to the single light on the new speedo or do I need to use some kind of diode? I was worried that connecting the two circuits might cause problems, but I haven't tested this yet.

I have a new Mini LED Speedo I've been trying to install. It has the single LED light indicator as well. Does anyone know what diodes to use and how to hook them up? I've got a couple but they don't seem to be working or hooked up right? I keep blowing fuses and can't get each turn signal to blink independently...

I also installed a Headlight with a H4 bulb.

Thanks.

Back