Let's see what happens with this...

crashcourse

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my first XS400 today. I've been riding a 650 Special for about two years, but I needed another bike for a school project this fall. It's all in pieces, and among other things its missing the seat, the airboxes, and one of the carb bodies. I want to redesign the rear suspension for a class project this fall, but in the meantime I just want to get it running. It hasn't been run in six years, but the engine turns over and feels like it has good compression. The hiring harness has been all cut up and the the gas tank is trash. On the plus side it was cheap, the tires have good tread, and the engine itself looks pretty clean. Like I said, I am using this for a school project, and if that doesn't turn out I can just hardtail it, or if I can't get it running at all I'll probably be parting it right here in the classifieds. I'll try to post pics in the next few days.

I like the Milvin mod with the single shocker under the engine, go for that, or are you planning something really rad for the project?

Yeah, I'm starting a Master's in Mechanical Engineering at BYU.

This redesign will be something pretty dramatic, but I'm not sure exactly how it will look. The core idea is to remove the shocks entirely but still have a working suspension. Sort of, light as a hard-tail but as comfortable as a fully suspended bike. Like I said, I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I'll have a couple buddies helping with the design, a professor to consult with, and a well equipped fab shop to do the actual building in, so I'm hoping for good things.

what about regenerative suspension, recharge the batteries using the resistance of electric/linear motors?

Yeah, I'm starting a Master's in Mechanical Engineering at BYU.

This redesign will be something pretty dramatic, but I'm not sure exactly how it will look. The core idea is to remove the shocks entirely but still have a working suspension. Sort of, light as a hard-tail but as comfortable as a fully suspended bike. Like I said, I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I'll have a couple buddies helping with the design, a professor to consult with, and a well equipped fab shop to do the actual building in, so I'm hoping for good things.

I don't know what's worse trying to be an engineer or having to get a degree like that from BYU!!! Just kidding I'm down here in southern Utah so I had to give u crap! I'm getting ready to start a xs400 project to and I have a parts bike with a stuck motor let me know if u need anything off her before I start tossing things in the trash.

I have thought about building a bike using friction shocks in the rear. It would add a real nostalgic look to a bike. Offenhauser still makes them, but I would turn some brass wear plates to give it some depth in appearance.

hell yeah man. like on model A's and stuff. i read a write up in street rodder on how to mod them and stuff. it was pretty sweet. would be cool to see it on a bike.

I don't know what's worse trying to be an engineer or having to get a degree like that from BYU!!! Just kidding I'm down here in southern Utah so I had to give u crap! I'm getting ready to start a xs400 project to and I have a parts bike with a stuck motor let me know if u need anything off her before I start tossing things in the trash.

I haven't had time to go all through the parts and see what I'm missing, but I know I'll need at least one of the carburetors (preferably a complete set - I have no idea what has been lost since the PO took them completely apart) and both air boxes.

I haven't had time to go all through the parts and see what I'm missing, but I know I'll need at least one of the carburetors (preferably a complete set - I have no idea what has been lost since the PO took them completely apart) and both air boxes.

go through them and see what you need I have an extra set but they where ugly It looked like they where full of oil when the bike stoped:yikes:
im gonna try and get the good bike running next month (finishing up a buddies xs650 this month) if i don't need the parts carbs and you do they're yours

go through them and see what you need I have an extra set but they where ugly It looked like they where full of oil when the bike stoped:yikes:
im gonna try and get the good bike running next month (finishing up a buddies xs650 this month) if i don't need the parts carbs and you do they're yours

Ugly carbs is better than no carbs. :thumbsup:

And as far as damping goes, I haven't decided how to do that either. I'd never seen the friction shocks before, and having induction shocks is very intriguing. I remember those demonstrations from physics class, way back in the day.

I need those carbs as well. If theres anything I can help you with let me know. I have a few parts laying around here. If I dont get a left side carb, Im probably going to just start selling all my parts as well.

Thanks

Here's what I've got to start with. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
005.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

Back