look what i found in my carbs!

redratbike

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
After actually getting the bike to run to put my mind at rest that it was worth carrying on with i moved on to some other bits

so i cleaned the carbs out as the bikes been standing for 10 years i washed all the crud off the outside with some carb cleaner then took them apart one at a time to clean all the jets etc etc

here's what i found inside ..this was the worse one the other wasnt half as bad
xs250carbs001.jpg

and
xs250carbs002.jpg

took the best part of 2.r hors in total i think but they ended up a lot cleaner ..lots of carb clener inside ..removed all the jets blew them through..cleaned everything and put them back together ..

fitted a new throttle cable and guess what

the bastard wouldn't start! :banghead:

going to wait till i get a tank from Drewpy and try again as i'm just forcing petrol down a funnel at the moment .

do you know if shorting out the solenoid to start it would have damaged anything else? as my start button has disintergrated but cadxs has 2 new ones

that is the first time i've seen grass on the inside of a carb!! lol! seriously though, that's funny that it ran before you cleaned the carbs out. and people say they have to be spotless inside lol.

that is the first time i've seen grass on the inside of a carb!! lol! seriously though, that's funny that it ran before you cleaned the carbs out. and people say they have to be spotless inside lol.

ha ha was waiting someone to spot that.

it didnt run good thats for sure but it did run..just goes to show you

Goes to show ya its a yamaha. I've had similar experiences with a rebel. Started it up and it ran fine. Went to pull the carbs cause it was february. Wow. My float needle was taking a bath at the bottom of the bowl. Didn't seem to bother the honda any. Makes ya wonder don't it?

Those are about as bad as it gets, yikes.

Couple years back, I bought a pair of GS500E's in the middle of winter. Pulled the carbs apart in my (unheated) garage, and found what appears to be molded plastic covers under the float bowls ... took my frozen brain a few seconds to realize it was ice.

Set them both in a metal can with the lid on, and put them in the basement to thaw. When I opened the lid, there was only the faintest odor of gas ... bikes had been sitting outside, and it was all water in there. Cleaned things up, and they worked just fine.

02icedcarb2.jpg

Back