Looking at getting a xs400 with no spark

OneThirtyEight

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I found a good deal on a 1979 xs400 that is in otherwise good shape but it has no spark and the battery is old. Are the ignition systems on these bikes very complicated? I have a lot of experience with old cars with a points, coil, distributor type ignition systems. Is the ignition going to be all analogue like that with parts I can fix or am a potentially looking at some spendy digital stuff?

Where I'm coming from on this is I want to buy low now, fix it over the winter, ride it in the spring and sell it come summer. So I don't really want a money pit.

With that I know what to look for mechanically, I'm just a little lost on the ignition end of things.

I say get it. I found a complete parts bike for 100 bucks on craigslist so worst case scenario you can get parts for nearly nothing. There aren't that many moving parts or complicated things. I would say you got a good shot of getting spark as is. Prolly just need to replace the fuse panel (10 bucks @ radioshack) or fix some wires.

yes it is, and some members here have a pile of disassembled xs400s lying around as well. But it all depends on how cheap you can get it, what's the price for this non-sparking two wheeler?

Being a '79, it should be all analogue unless a PO "up-graded" it.
I am personally afraid of that stuff and am glad for the changes in '80 or '81, however, I do envy those of you who thrive on it.
Being analogue, it has things like coils, condensers, a starter motor and all it's paraphernalia so you may or may not run into expense with some of that.

I assume it has a kick start option too - so worst case scenario is you likely can get it running with at least that.

Also, Willem is right - it depends on what you mean by a good deal. If it's $600 and doesn't even spark, I might want to test why before buying it if the seller will let you tinker a bit before parting with cash. If it's $200, I don't see how you can lose.

Hope you get it and we can welcome you permanently to the Forum!

It's listed at $350, I figure I'll get it for $300 or maybe a little less. And the rest of the bike is in pretty good shape for being as old as it is. Is that a good deal? I was just assuming it was but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd definitely bring a compression tester if you have one or can borrow one. If it has good compression it's a decent deal. But likely you'll be able to fix it up for a decent price all together, or get your 300 back by parting it out either way.

A bike with a bad battery won't have a spark:wink2: My guess is that it needs a new battery.

I hope its just the battery, or something easy and cheap like that. I guess I can just go into this assuming it will be easy and I just won't register it until I get it going. If its too broken to fix within my budget I can probably sell it for what I paid for it.

The 79 model has points, and is a simple battery-coil ignition just like old cars. Get 12VDC to the points, open them, you should get spark. Engine doesn't have to turn, points have to have power and open and close. As I'm sure you know, when the points open, you get spark.
One of these bikes complete, with title, is certainly worth 250-400 bucks.
I'd change both points and condenser, as well as get a good battery, not a cheapie.

Good to know. Sounds like its something I should be able to figure out then. Now I'm just waiting for the owner to email me back to set up a time for me to check it out.

One thing. If he lets you tinker it, and find it's something simple he may try to ask more for the bike.
I've had that happen. Just talk like you understand what might be wrong and keep knocking down the price for the repairs.
Thins like new coils $50 each. Points and condensers $35 each. $75 battery, $250 tires.
Just keep working at the price. He may be convinced you know what you are talking about and take a deal before you get him to pay you to take it.
Leo

Leo is right. Hopefully he would let you tinker, i wouldn't buy a bike that isn't running without being aloud to open up some bits of it.

You will likely need to replace a bunch of parts as Leo stated, plugs included, and if it does have compression and there is nothing wrong with the starter, or the drive system (shifts, clutch opens and closes, sprockets seem okay) I would i would pick it up... 350 is a bit high for me, especially since you will be putting in at least 200$ into this bike, plus a bit of time ;)

Good luck! Keep us posted

Back