Mikes Xs reg rectifier unit installation

agent laraby

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK 77xs360 so rebuild is ready and registered except I have the legendary xs charging failure so after testing stator, reg and rectifier etc I am replacing everything and rewiring the stator (and will be following the stator rewire forum posts from drewpy and others) . Anyway I am seeking advice from anyone who has installed one of the new solid state regs. I have a new reg/rec solid state from mikes XS it is the Ricks electric unit I believe. https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-solid-state-rectifier-regulator-70-79.html
its config is :
Rectifier:
3 white
1 red
reg
1 green
1 brown
1 black

So my question is has any one installed one of these to replace the separate rectifier and mechanical regulator on the 70s 360 or 400 hundred.

As some have indicated the wiring colours do not line up with stock.
My stock colours are
rectifier
3 white
1 black
1 red
Reg
1 red/black
1 brown
1 black

Anyone who has done this and what connection changes were required.

Doesn't quite look like anything I'm seeing on Rick's, though I've always had trouble finding information on their website.
At least one or two members have tried to use rick's combo units and always had trouble.

Must be a newer version as Mikes olders units had blue and orange wires. Haven't read about any with a red/black wire yet.
The installation instructions on Mikes are for the wrong year and incompatible but fortunately there aren't too many possibilities.

Rec:
Three whites to three whites
red to red
No black, since there is only one unit where stock had two, they only need one black wire. If using stock connectors leave the black wire in the wiring harness connector. It will be unused but better there than flopping around loose.

reg:
red/black to green
brown to brown
black to black

Should work if your wiring harness is stock and the unit is compatible as listed.

Doesn't quite look like anything I'm seeing on Rick's, though I've always had trouble finding information on their website.
At least one or two members have tried to use rick's combo units and always had trouble.

Must be a newer version as Mikes olders units had blue and orange wires. Haven't read about any with a red/black wire yet.
The installation instructions on Mikes are for the wrong year and incompatible but fortunately there aren't too many possibilities.

Rec:
Three whites to three whites
red to red
No black, since there is only one unit where stock had two, they only need one black wire. If using stock connectors leave the black wire in the wiring harness connector. It will be unused but better there than flopping around loose.

reg:
red/black to green
brown to brown
black to black

Should work if your wiring harness is stock and the unit is compatible as listed.

Excellent thanks weekend of stator rewiring and dropping new reg/rec coming up.
Given the state of the stator wires there the old girl wont know herself with new wiring and reg/rec !

Well it turns out that my old school rectifier and reg are actually still working :) I did the stator rewire and bingo. I have also ditched the lithium battery. i have wired up the new reg/rec connectors will see what that is like.

Back