My 79 XS400 chopper/tracker project thread

DanielDayBowles

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Names Daniel and i'm from Birmingham AL.
i was lucky enough to have been the proud buyer of my first bike last May, got a 1979 xs400 for 600.00. in almost pristine condition, perfect running, and super fast.
I'm currently with the help of me and my friends motorcycle co - op, started a build, kind of looking like its gonna be a crossbreed of a tracker / chopper, keeping it soft tail, stretching the front end a bit, sissy bar and all that good stuff. So in order of ownage to present, here are some pics, i'v so far replaced the front end with an old kawasaki trials bike front end, giving me an extra 3 1/2 inch stretch and i'm gonna run and old Akront 19" front racing wheel, rear end has been chopped and extended a tad with a hand made grab bar / fin looking deal.
Please feel free to comment, input, tips, ect. theres some experienced dudes on this site and the help is much appreciated, im more so learning on the fly

sorry, here goes.

This is what the bike looked like when i got it.

photo.jpg

Heres the new front end with mocking 21inch rim

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Rear end cut off and fender mocking up with Akront race rim

photo-3.jpg

welding near rear and made home made seat pan, gonna run a hand wrapped flat tracker type seat.

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

More To Come

-Daniel-

Yea it's tough cause im looking to make it comfortable for my lady as well, i'm gonna trim the rear profile a little less wide and fin the rear of the pan slightly, my buddy and my self are gonna make the battery box and get the seat foamed and wrapped this evening, ill have pictures soon.
thanks dudes

Welcome to the site, great start!! hard to face the decision on the looks of a one seater, or being able to ride your woman on there. Removable seat thats what i have been thinking about.

Last edited:
Just got the battery box done last night, was able to mount my fender and layed my material for cushioning on my new seat pan. fabricated a mount on my battery box for the harley fender im running in the rear and was able to salvage the old battery box skeleton. ill post some more pics later, heres some i took last night.

xsphoto.jpg

xs2photo.jpg

photo-7.jpg

So last night was more than productive, sissy bar is almost done, just need to fabricate some mounts, started my exhaust, which is both pipes swinging from front out to the right, buying some leather and a rivet gun today for the seat, going to start the body work this weekend, which is re - paint seat and rear fender and battery box. My buddy brandon was gracious to give me his older Akront front wheel and tire. more to come!
check out our blogs if interested
flyinshoes.blogspot.com
haints69.blogspot.com

new mount, little bit stronger
xsphoto-1.jpg

xs2photo-1.jpg

xs3photo.jpg

xs4photo.jpg

xs5photo.jpg

the stance is exactly what is was going for, so syked!
xs7photo.jpg

So here are some getting close to finished pics.
have to still
- wrap exhaust
- finish body work on the tank and rear fender and prep for paint
- cut remaining tabs and paint sissy bar and frame
- mill out front end to a 15mm to properly fit new front wheel
- re - wire new Headlight and taillight (running front and rear light and electric ignition)
- install new throttle assembly
- and some other small nick nacks
photo-8.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

photo-2-1.jpg

photo-3-1.jpg

photo-4-1.jpg

Back