New guy, need help firing up my bike

Hotspur

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've really enjoyed cruising around this forum, I'm sure it'll be a lifeline, of sorts, for me in the future...

My problem: I bought an old friend's '82 xs400 cafe racer. I know that for the past 2-3 years it was very rarely riden, and it was parked outside thru all last winter. I can't seem to get it started. Its kick only, and I've even tried bump-starting it to no avail. When I kick it, it feels like it want to start, and even putts for a second or 2 after some perseverance and sweat. when bump starting it, the same thing happens. My bro just bought a new battery for it last summer, but used it maybe twice. So with it even having a new battery, could it be dead from not getting used for a year? when I tur the key and the neutral light comes on, the headlamp doesn't. after a few kicks tho, it starts lighting up.

what would you think it could be? battery? not getting any fuel (i just put some new fuel in too) carburettor perhaps? I've tried kicking in every combo of petcock and choke positions too.

I know the engine DOES work, just don't know how to get it going...

fuel gunged up in the carbs = clean them

batteries knackered = they dont like standing = get a new one

fuel condition = crap = new fuel

Drewpy's right, these batteries don't last long under ideal conditions and the fuel in the U.S. is crap. They can take that 10% ethanol and shove it. I use Sta-Bil in every tankful and it still sucks. Fresh gas makes a huge difference.

Yep, I've got fresh fuel in it - I'm in Canada too, not sure how much our gas differs tho. I'll clean the carbs tomorrow a.m., and grab a new battery - see how it goes from there! Thanks guys, good to know I'm on the right track. Oh, one more thing re. cleaning carbs: do you suggest I take them both completely apart, or take off the float bowls and clean the jets while still on the bike itself?

I think I'll do the float bowls first, see if that solves it - if not, take them apart.

Being a total mechanical novice, the prospect of dismantling things is a little daunting - but I'm also pretty eager to get my hands dirty

haha drewpy must have hotkeys for "common answers"

button 1 = petcock plugged
2= carbs need cleaning
3= rejetting
4= battery
5= spark

do you suggest I take them both completely apart, or take off the float bowls and clean the jets while still on the bike itself?

I think I'll do the float bowls first, see if that solves it - if not, take them apart.

Being a total mechanical novice, the prospect of dismantling things is a little daunting - but I'm also pretty eager to get my hands dirty

Avoid using carb cleaner on anything rubber or plastic.

Remove the diaphragm covers and inspect the diaphragms for cracks or holes. The diaphragm covers contain a large spring and are under light pressure; expect it. Avoid using carb cleaner on or around the diaphragms; you're just looking for holes. Don't bother messing with the needles at this point.

Stop here; now it's time to take off the float bowls.

Open the float bowls and remove them slowly. Do not disturb the gaskets. If the gaskets are damaged or just look awful order new ones, but most seem to last a very long time. Blow air and carb cleaner through the hole and tube in the float bowl itself.

Measure the float height and record it. Remove the float pins holding the floats on; I use a punch, but you should only need very light pressure to remove them; do not force them; it should be easy. Note whether the floats are brass or rubber.

Remove the float needles and inspect them. Are there deep grooves? Remove the float needle seat and inspect the screen if it has one; clean as needed.

Remove the main jet with an appropriately sized flat head screw driver or butter knife; note the washer and remove it. Record the number printed on the main jet and which side it came from. Push the emulsion tube through the venturi (note the pin that keeps it from rotating) with something soft (i.e. not metal); plastic things work; inspect the emulsion tube, especially the tiny holes in the side of it and clean as needed. When reassembling do not over-tighten the main jet.

Remove the pilot jet cap/cover/plug if it has one. Remove the pilot jet with a very small flat-head screw driver and record the number printed on it. Once the pilot is screwed out all the way do not attempt to "dig" it out; just flip the carbs over and shake/smack them lightly with your hand and they should fall out. Inspect and clean the pilot jets including all holes in the sides. Blast air and carb cleaner through the pilot circuit. When reassembling do not over-tighten the pilot jets or the cap screw/plug/etc.

Stop here and post all the numbers you recorded. Someone, or me, can tell you if they all appear correct before you reassemble everything. Many of the numbers printed in the manuals are wrong.

Don't forget that the emulsion tube must be inserted before the diaphragms can be re-installed.

When putting the diaphragms back make sure the needles slide into the emulsion tubes; do not force them down without looking through the venturi. Make sure the diaphragm fits over its grooves properly and makes a seal; there is also a notch you need to line up. Insert the large springs and fit them onto the cover when you place it on. Do not over-tighten the cover.

This procedure is much easier than it sounds; if you're unfamiliar with the vocabulary look the words up; most carbs have all the same parts but are simply shaped different. If everything checked out with the diaphragms you will likely not have to open those covers again for a very long time. Much of the reassembly is simply the reverse of removal; I simply added tips where I deemed appropriate.

In addition to what I described there are a few more things you can clean. What comes to mind first is the idle fuel screws. You might have a tamper-resistant design I am not familiar with, but that can be removed. The tamper-resistant design has rubber o-rings that tend to disintegrate and cause problems. The older designs like my 78 have no such o-rings. Turn the screws in all the way BY HAND, stopping when any resistance is felt. Screwing these in too far can snap the tips off. You want to note how many turns were required to close them all the way; write this down. Now, remove these screws completely and clean as needed. Once done you can screw them in all the way and turn them out the same number of times that you recorded earlier. I would save this procedure for last or even skip it at first, especially if you have the tamper-resistant design. Revisit this procedure if you have problems later.

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hello. Just to make sure I am putting everything back correctly, what are the specs of all these adjustments should be on a 1980 Yamaha xs400SG?

1. Float Height 26mm
2. Main Jet?
3. Pilot Jet?
4. Anything else I am forgetting

Also,you need to get a trickle charger[automatic]and hook it up when not in use for more than a week or so.I got one at Wal-mart,a schumacher,I think,automatic and charges slowly as the motorcycles like.It charges until full,then backs off to about 1/4 amp until you need it. lha

In case nobody else has suggested it,you should download the manuals that Travis has been so kind to offer to us for free.Just look for them,they're not hard to find,just that I cant remember where they are.[I have CRAFT,can't remember a f-----ing thing] lha

Before you go nuts and strip everything apart, try this simple test first which I used to teach to my students.
Using Suck, Squeeze, Bang.

Suck - is it getting fuel drawn into the chamber
Squeeze - has it got compression
Bang - does it have a spark

Posted via Mobile

Before you go nuts and strip everything apart, try this simple test first which I used to teach to my students.
Using Suck, Squeeze, Bang.

Suck - is it getting fuel drawn into the chamber
Squeeze - has it got compression
Bang - does it have a spark

Posted via Mobile

sounds like sex to me :D

Back