New member, exhaust issue!

Tombo

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hey all

my new to me 1980 xs400 special ii came with a right side exhaust leak and a stripped stud bolt, and the collar is bent too boot.

3 questions

1) Is this stud compatable: http://www.mikesxs.net/product/49-0736.html

2) Can I somehow remove and replace the collar?

3) If not - what should I do? It seems that the muffler is welded to the header from the factory, so the bent collar means I must replace the whole right side? Anyone got a right side muffler complete with collar they'd like to sell/trade/donate?

A xs650 exhaust stud will be too big I would go to a hardware store or a yamaha dealer to find one. With your muffler either plug the hole or cut off the old mufflers and find some slip-on ones. The only way you will get off the ring is to cut the muffler off.

"plug the hole" - what are you talking about/ referring to?

Also - once I get that stud out of there - what is the thread pitch? is it the same on both sides? And I guess an important question I see here but is NEVER answered (people just figure it out on their own then don't share it) - is whether the stud extracts from the motor to the left? (as in, lefty lucy....)

Plug your hole in the muffler:wink2: Or are you leaking at the head where the exhaust meets the head? Maybe some pics would help us. They use the same studs for both sides and right tight left loose:thumbsup: Found a set of studs if you want them $8.50 shipped paypal only:)

Attachments

• DSC01632.jpg
    DSC01632.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 108
I will take those studs - send me a pm with your payment details and such. If you have the nuts and/or a fresh exhaust gasket, I'd also take tose off yah.

After I replace the stud, I might try one more time with a new gasket to snug it down before resorting to a new pair of mufflers/ collars. Do you think that a bent collar could still provide the necessary pressure even pressure to seal this?

This is such a bummer for me, because the bike was purchased in a "non running" state - but it actually starts and runs, but I can't take tune seriously until I nail down this exhaust issue.

Oh - and yes - I am leaking between the header and the engine block. I had ordered a new gasket and flanges, but when I pulled the header off, noticed the stripped stud (which could be the source of the exhaust leak - but since the PO overtightened this enough to strip the stud, he also bent the collar itself).

I will pm my info to you:thumbsup: Also make sure you have the flanges in correct or the head pipe will leak.

Attachments

• DSC01633.jpg
    DSC01633.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 199
XSChris - I found a way to mock it up with what I have to work with, and what is strange, is that when I tried to install the header the way your photo shows, I couldn't get the header on as tightly as it is on the other header (the other cylinder) with a torque I felt comfortable with - so I tried reversing the flanges, and it solved my exhaust leak instantly. Strange!

Got the header on and mounted up, and then got the bike to run - carbs were balanced in 10 minutes, and now it's running solid, riding great - lots of power (for a 400!) and seems to have pretty even power up through the gears. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get this all adjusted and running decently. It does take a bit to warm up, but once it does, it runs good.

Anyways - I'm gonna try leaving it like it is for now, so I am going to hold off on the studs for now. Thanks for finding them for me, and I might come' a' knocking some time in the future - but there is actually something loose in the right side muffler that I can seem to shake out - so I will run it as is for now, but will ultimately be replacing the stock exhaust, either with another stock exhaust, or with an aftermarket option.

Not sure if you still have those studs around, but if so i'd love to buy them off you - just broke one trying to get my headers off for a shorty pipe conversion - saw this thread and thought id check on the off chance...thanks

Back