New Member with an '81

62 Jag

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, first post.

Here's a pic of my '81 Special II. Mostly stock except that I changed out the high bars for regular style. This bike spent years stored in the corner of an airplane hanger soon after the original owner bought it. A friend discovered it and bought it quite cheaply, then sold it to me later when he bought something else and lost interest.

Although the Special II is the "economy model", I actually like it better because of the wire wheels and the neat looking TLS brake. The stock mufflers were becoming perforated and rusty so I just now cut them off and fitted a pair of MAC mufflers, same style but a bit shorter. It's slightly louder now but I think I gained a bit more punch coming in around 5-6000 rpm. It certainly seems to go better. I had also cleaned out the carbs, fitted new intake rubbers and air filters.

Great forum, BTW. I guess I looked for a forum on the XS400 a few years ago but found nothing so it's good to see what you've done here. It's already been a big help to me.

Attachments

• dscf0001a.jpg
    dscf0001a.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 228
Welcome to the forum, you will find a great wealth of knowledge here.

Looks like it's going to be a great long weekend here in Southern Ontario for riding. :bike:

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about my bike thanks to the obvious expertise on here.

BTW, although I've had a lot of bikes over the years (started way back in England with an old hard tail BSA B31) I always had a soft spot for Yamaha products.

Had an RD200 in the 70s, a CT1 175 Enduro, a great reliable dirtbike, a mint TY175 Trials recently sold to a Yamaha sponsored dirtbike school and I still have a nice '79 SR500 which I'll keep just so long as I can still kick it over.

Back