no headlight/ cluster light?

m3ch

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i no longer have a headlight and cluster lighting so i guess the question is how do i fix?

Probably the headlight relay. Pull it off and clean the contacts and see if that fixes it. If not then you can temporarily bypass it by shorting the red/yellow to blue/black wires in its harness. If that gets them to light, then either the alternator is not putting any power out or the relay is shot.

fuses are fine, ill check the headlight connections

edit : well, i checked everything over and i cant seem to find the problem

Last edited:
Darn electrical gremlins :guns:
Oh, if yours is one of the early models it might not have a relay at all. Search for the wiring diagram thread and see if you can find yours there, if it's not in the manual. You might be lucky enough to find one in color too.

If it does have the relay, take a test light to its wiring harness while the bike is running. If not, well then you'll have to play the "find the bad ground" game.

What kind of bike? What year?

Checking it while running, I hope? Loose connections around fuse box (I had that)?

Looks to be a 78 xs400. There should be a small gold relay under the tank that turns the lights on. Switch that relay with the one next to it and see if that does anything.

oh yeah sorry it is a 78 xs400, and i will try to switch the relay

and yes i do believe it is an early model there is no red wire to my headlight only green yellow and black =p

well, i seen one gold relay down

anyone have a pic of what im looking for? kind of a noob here

Last edited:
check the pic. Your's will be up under the tank though.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 168
alright, found it (thought i found it yesterday and was right was just unsure) now comes the problem of tracking another one down

would it be possible that if my battery is too low on fluids that it would effect the lighting?

My bike is a bit newer, The relay on my model, is that way. If there is not enough power, the relay doesnt flip till there is enough power too move the eletctric magnet to the "on position" So if the batter is dead, no lights. So if the Alternator/Stator is bad wiring, no power, no relay getting power to send to the headlight. I did have two relays, I was able to swap them, to verify the headlights work. One was the Safety, the other headlight. Both of which is expensive to order brand new. and in my case, I didn't need it, so they took out restocking fee, from my refund. even thou it never would have fit my bike, with out some modification. good luck

The way I see it, a relay is a relay, so I don't think it'd be worth grabbing an OEM one. It ought to be easy enough to convert to a standard automotive relay. $7 vs. $70 seems like a no-brainer.

there are different relays and different amperage. just need to find the config ( i assume its just a single throw relay) and how much it needs to shunt

okay i guess its a derp on my part, turns out, the bulb is no good, now i guess its time to think of new headlight options

I hate to ask a basic question, but are you checking the headlight with the engine running?

yes i was

when i first looked in the glass i couldn't see the little break in the filament?(i think thats what it is called =p) i got a better look at it the next morning

Edit: oh wait, back to square one, time to put in a more modern relay

Last edited:
Back