No response when ignition key is turne

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK, hi everyone my name is Gary. This is my 1st bike, and I am learning as I go. I did something really stupid. I have a jumpstarter/tire inflator. Used it to start the bike. Realized too late that I reversed the cables. Fried the battery. Now the problem is when I trun the key, no lights will come on. Its not the fuses (checked). I took the ignition switch off and a friend is going to check it for me. The starter does turn, just the lights and horn don't work. Found 1 lamp blown in taillight. Does anyone have any ideas? I really appreciate it. Have a good day everybody!

Ok, so you're saying when the key is turned the bike will start? If that's the case, then your ignition switch seems to be good. Given that your lights and horn don't work, check the fuses once again. Make sure they're nice and clean and play with them a little to make sure the position in the fuse holder doesn't fix anything. On mine, if I press the fuse too far in the holder, the speedo/dummy lights/headlight won't work. If that doesn't seem to matter, then break out the multimeter and start testing for voltage to your headlight...trace your way back until you find the problem.

These bikes are notorious for loose connections in the fuse box area. Many people (myself included) have replaced the fuse boxes because the connections disintegrate when repairs are attempted.

Ok, so you're saying when the key is turned the bike will start? If that's the case, then your ignition switch seems to be good. Given that your lights and horn don't work, check the fuses once again. Make sure they're nice and clean and play with them a little to make sure the position in the fuse holder doesn't fix anything. On mine, if I press the fuse too far in the holder, the speedo/dummy lights/headlight won't work. If that doesn't seem to matter, then break out the multimeter and start testing for voltage to your headlight...trace your way back until you find the problem.

Tx for your response. I assume you mean the wires all the way back to the positive side of the batter? Tx again!

Yep. There's a wiring diagram on here, so reference that. I'm thinking it's going to be an issue with the fuses, given you have multiple things not working. BTW, the headlight won't work unless the bike is running. You know that, right? There's a relay (mine was in front of the battery area tucked up under the tank area) that comes from the alternator and once the bike is running (ie the alternator is running), the relay will latch and allow power from the battery to the headlight. So if you're testing the, you either need to jumper past the relay or have the bike running.

Back