No spark, right side plug.

Nick1236

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I snagged an 82 seca project from a friend for free. It was sitting in an impound lot for 6 years. Everything was all there but it needed much love. I got it home and took apart most of the bike and cleaned the carbs three times. I managed to get it started one time and then I couldn't get it started again. I took the carbs off and cleaned them again and assembled everything. Tonight while trying to get it started I got nothing... Checked for spark and found out the right side (when sitting on the bike) has no spark. I tried the plug in the other side and it works, not the plug. Now my problem...

Where the hell does the plug wire go to? I've followed it up into the frame but I get lost there. I can't seem to find out where the hell it goes. It goes up into the frame where the tank would sit. I can see other connectors and such up there but its impossible to get a good view without taking the whole damn motor off. Is there an easier way to gain access to this part of the bike? I was thinking about just buying new plug wires but I can't figure out how to get the old ones off.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

The coils are inside the frame, just forward of the engine mounts. Each is mounted with 2 bolts with 10mm heads that you can see when the tank is off.

If you remove the upper engine mounts, then the metal bracket that holds the wiring away from the engine, you will be able to put your hand into the frame from the front and reach upwards, you will feel them.

Once you have the coils out, the caps will unscrew from the coils, releasing the plug wire.

Thank you! With the upper mounts disconnected, do I need to brace the motor so it doesn't fall out? Not sure how many other mounts it has supporting it.

No, there are 2 bolts at the back of the engine that will support it. Just don't try starting the bike or sitting on it without the top mounts in place.

If you have smallish hands and are careful you can just take one side of the mount off and leave the bolts in. It is a tricky tip of the fingers process, but it wasn't very hard at all for me to get my coils out and back in with just the left side of the top mount off.

I'm having the same problem with my bike 82 seca. The coils are kinda a pain with fat hands like mine. When you take the tank off you'll see 2 small nuts on each side of the frame. Left side should be aligned vertically and the right side should be diagonal in the direction of the frame. Those are the bolts for each coil. There are 2 coils independent from one another. I just took mine out today. Took a lot of wiggling and sore fingers.

You do have to remove the fram mount. The engine will stay in place no need to brace it. It can be done with only the right side removed but its just as easy to take both sides off.

I can't find the source of my preoblem. (No spark right side) Mine started last fall but not this spring. :(

Tip. Don't try to crank the engine with the coils unbolted. It will blow a fuse under your seat. At least that happned to me anyway.

One way to test the coils is to switch their power connecters. If the right starts sparking and the left is now the dead one then thats a strong indicator both coils are good but one of your connecters is not powring the coil right for whatever reason.

That's the worst part I put the deeper one in first as the other gets in the way. Its not easy. I was basicly poking it back up there with 2 fingers hoping to get lucky.

By the time I started to tear down my bike, a couple years ago, I had seen enough postings, that I marked each connector, the male side/ Female side with a same marking So I kno\w how to put it back. I probably wasted more time researching each problem, and looking for mistakes made by others.

Back