Noob, need all the advice i can get, want to beef my 83 up and eventually cafe

TcGrey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Tim here, I'm just going into my second season, my xs400 was my first bike and out of the two others I've gotten it's still my favorite. I think its time to put some more power into it. Id like to beef up the engine, and turn it into a cafe, maybe stretch it a few inches but honestly, I've no idea where to start or even what I should be looking at. ALL advice, stories, tips welcome. Im excited to hear what you guys have to say.

Welcome to the forum. Not much you can do with the motor other than uni pods, jetting and a 2-1 exhaust. I would just make sure all the usual tune up stuff is done.

Because of the motor being part of the frame ( no down tube or cradle) I don't think you will find or yamaha made another that will fit without big mods.

:wink2::wink2: Agree we need to see it work. With these kinds of mods you almost always run into some sort of issues than need to be fixed. I have always said if I want a bigger more powerful bike I would just get one that came that way stock. For the time and money it will be cheaper:laugh:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9388&highlight=big+bore Check this thread out, post 3 and 4 for the dohc bikes. Not sure how he made out or if it ran well as no updates where done on this subject:(

Disclaimer: I'm a car guy that's just now getting into these bikes, so if this has been covered, I apologize.

Why couldn't a guy slightly overbore the block to fit in a slightly larger sleeve (thus using a larger piston)? Looks to me like there should be enough meat there.

Yes, I think it's possible to bore out the stock sleeves or even bore the cylinders for a larger sleeve.
As xschris said there can be problems involved. A bit research might find awswers to that question.
I know that several places sell over bore kits for the XS650, Some just bore the stock sleeves to fit bigger pistons, this stretches the cc's out to 700 or a bit more.
There is a kit that you bore the cylinders out and use sleeves and pistons to make it a 750. Similar kits have big fin cylinders already fitted for the 750 sleeves and pistons.
Some one out there might sell kits for the XS400 that do similar things.
xschris also mentioned getting a bigger bike. The XS650 with all it's options is a good candidate.
Leo

There is no "kit" for the xs400 anymore:( I guess there was back in the early 80's but no longer available. Even finding stock pistons and rings are very hard and expensive to get:mad:

None at all:laugh: I had a few xs650's for a while just because of the parts there are for them but sold them all because I liked the xs400's much more.

Rather than using a kit, I'm thinking just any bike (heck wouldn't even have to be a Yamaha) that has a slightly bigger sleeve (I'd rather bore the block and add a bigger sleeve than bore the sleeve) and fit it into the 400 block.

Not only would you get a few more CCs, but possibly move to a piston/ring size that is commonly available. I don't have access to a lot of motorcycle data (neck deep in cars mostly, new to the bike arena). But it'd seem all you'd need is to know the stock bore of the 400 block (the block, not the sleeve). Do some measurements to see what a save overbore would be, then search for stock sleeves in those sizes. Bore the block, press in the sleeve, and add new larger (and more common) pistons and rings.

Im not sure you would want to take these bikes much faster than a well tuned stock 400 motor with pods, re jetted carbs and free flowing exhaust will already go? These frames have they're handling limitations and over a certain speed they will just start feeling a little on the hairy side :shrug: But I guess for more torque or acceleration it could be worth pursuing. You could turn it into a mono mahine :bike: But having said that, if you find a relatively easy mod that isn't crazy expensive I am more than interested in the results!

Forget boring it out. Skip straight to the forced induction! Someone has made a turbo xs400 before and it works. The details are a mystery though.

Attachments

• user3128_pic34_1290207915.jpg
    user3128_pic34_1290207915.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 185
if you want a faster bike, sell the xs400 and buy something else (or keep it, and buy another bike). You're not going to get amazing results from modding this one without running into many issues. These bikes aren't built for speed. With the right tools, skills, and parts anything can be done, but with this bike you'd end up replacing more than you'd be keeping. You can go a little way as suggested above with some pod air filters, an aftermarket exhaust and some rejetting, but even that should be more for the looks than the performance gain as it is a marginal improvement for the money invested.

Unless you want to do mods for fun. If you want to find out how far you can push a 30-year-old 400cc bike. If you want that custom modded bike that you built to your personal preference and you want to have your own creation to straddle :thumbsup:

just my $0.02 :shrug:

Unless you want to do mods for fun. If you want to find out how far you can push a 30-year-old 400cc bike. If you want that custom modded bike that you built to your personal preference and you want to have your own creation to straddle :thumbsup

Isn't that what most of us want? ;)

Seriously though... and not trying to hijack this thread... but I've thought of a slight bore/re-sleeve not so much for a power mod, but to allow for more common replacement parts (piston and rings).

I do not have the resources to search through all the sleeve inside and outside diameters like I do automobiles. But I'm put money on it that there is enough meat in the block itself to do a very slight overbore, press in a factory sleeve that is slightly bigger than the original XS400 sleeve, and then use the corresponding piston/ring combo that is common and parts are readily available for. Wouldn't even have to be a Yamaha part. A sleeve is a sleeve. As long as you did the right bore and pressed it in, once it's in it doesn't care what the part number is. :bike:

This may be easy ( sleeves and pistons for jugs) but it's finding a piston to fit the head and valves. Either way there would be a lot of machine work the and costs would be to much for most.

Back