Nuetral and 5th shift problems

... Now that you mention it, going from 5 to 6, occasionally it will slip into limbo, no gear, Then I repeat the action to shift to 6th, and it goes in. (do I have weak ankles?) ...
If this wasn't you, you are probably okay ...

Attachments

• Do I have weak ankles.JPG
    Do I have weak ankles.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 353
Today, while getting gas, I took a moment, and looked at the clutch on the handle bar. It was spun out of the threads. So I was able to spin it back. It was fine on the way home. But I wasn't in a situation for the systems to overheat, It was hard to get it into neutral once I got home thou. So I will have to spend some more moments with it sooner than later. I dialed it in as far as I could turn it with hand strength.
Tobie

Last edited:
Once I get some other things finished on my bike Im going to look at the clutch cable.,The problem with the bike not going to nuetral is more than annoyance its a major PIA.If I can find the link or story about the 1st gear problems I`ll post it.I believe that I found out by reading up on common problems with xs400.The 4-5th gear shift problems definately need to be addresed before much damage is done.Last thing I want to do is to dig into the tarns cause I would have no clue.

It's a huge PIA in city traffic, light to light!!! I was told by a guy that's pretty much a guru on older Jap bikes that the 400's are known for shifting badly. He says "think Mack truck" lol. It may be the very reason this one gets put on the sellers block as soon as its all put back together and running as right as you can get these things to run. Which is far from right, lol.

Which is exactly what I plan on doing,once this bike is running and its as good as I can get in half way top form,good bye xs400 4 sale sign is up.

I like the early style bikes also and I wish that new bikes would be made with 70`s and 80`s style with the exception of the elctronics on board.Im looking to find a bike that is shaft or belt drriven also and around 750cc.I dont know if a newer bike is in my futer for the riding season this year but at least by lateer in the season and for next year.I cant see tying up a ton of $ in something that I cant cruise on the hiway with without getting blown away and is large,fast enough for both me and my spouse to ride on.

:doh: Okay, get a room you too :popcorn:

:hijack: I am hijacking this back to the shifting issues. I went into the manual and found this. I will try this tomorrow.

(FYI-- Switch to Advance and click the paperclip to add photos, and stuff. I am noticing someplaces people using other photo services to add photos) (not here) aslong as I am hijacking.... ;)

Attachments

• Clutch Adjustment.jpg
    Clutch Adjustment.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 436
Says two screws hold on the clutch cover. Mines held on by 4 screws and my shifter.. ?
Arfstrom, I use my phone so it looks nothing like that.

I don't have anything that fancy, Got that off the Web site manual, I can't think of anything with 2 screws either. Now that I am home, I can look in the book. Its just harder to copy and paste from the book. The previous copied text is the same in my book. (SOHC)

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/CLUTCH/parts.html
Parts 23, 24 are the listed items in the 3rd sentence that I copied from the manual.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/CRANKCASE+COVER/parts.html part 12 from this list is a cap. Like you I don't see the screws yet. I am hoping the plug comes out easy.

Based on these 2 web diagrams, I am comfortable to pull the cap off, and make the adjustment. Once I get it done tomorrow, and drive it to find out if I can get it to fail, I will be happy to tell eveyone about it.

Arfstrom, those are the screws on the cover in the diagram I was seeing. Is there oil behind that cover? I know there is behind the front cover, but what about the rear one where the cable is? The chain goes through there and it looks like its a dry cover, but looks can be deceiving.
Willem, thanks! Is there somewhere you can put in a vin# and find out what model your bike is? .

Back