Ok... Heres a weird one for ya...

thejadedfool

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok... so I got caught in heavy rain and my bike did not like it... she started missing on the right cylinder... and then back firing... then stalled...

I got her dried out and she is now running again... but it is very strange... lol

Before I got caught in the rain... the 2 stage enhancer worked as it should... I would pull it all the way old on a cold start... it would fire up on the first kick... as it warmed up the idle would rise... then i would put the enhancer in one notch... wait til the idle would rise and then push it in all the way and go... However once she got good and warm... my idle would get a bit erratic... and tend to idle on the high side...

fast forward to today... post rain storm...

Now I cannot start the bike with the enhancer all the way out... I can start it just fine with the enhancer in the middle position... the idle will rise but it takes a little longer... and then i can pop it in and go...

but here is the odd thing... the high idle issue is gone... LMAO

Wondering if it is a bad idea to just run it this way???

Thanx

David

"You may be an XS owner ...if you've ever raised a clenched fist to the sky and yelled: 'D@mn, you Yamaha, d@mn you to he!!....I will have a steady idle if it kills both of us!!!'..." - HoughMade :-D

don't knock it, these bikes are ethereal beings and so don't suffer the folly of us mere mortals.

just accept that the way it is and don't try anf ix it! :D

I had a similar problem on another bike years ago. I figured that the only thing that had changed from when it ran fine ,was the rain. So I guessed electical problem. It turned out that my spark plug boots were worn out and letting the water in. Once i dried it out it ran fine. So I replaced the boots.
Your problem could be the same or maybe worn out wires. How to they look? It also could be a wiring problem but lets hope it's something simpler.

I have the same rain issue. Whenever it rains (tonight) she doesn't wanna start up and idle or rev right for a minute or so. Once she gets the rain out of her she does fine. Haven't had any issues with my enhancer though... yet.

Back