Online tire sales

smurfy71

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am looking to buy new tires, as I don't think mine will pass a safety. Has anyone purchased tires from Canada's Motorcycle? http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/

I am looking specifically at the Kenda tires they have on there:
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/kenda-k657-challenger-front-tire.html
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/kenda-k657-challenger-rear-tire.html

Their prices seem pretty good, I checked locally and I would save the cost of the install by buying them online. I just wanted to know if anyone has purchased from them before or somewhere else?

Thanks

I haven't dealt with them, but they have a good reputation on ADVRider.com. I have the Challenger on the rear of my bike and it has gone well for a cheap tire. Good grip when dry, decent in wet and/or cold.

... I checked locally and I would save the cost of the install by buying them online...
Another way to save the cost of the install is to do the install yourself. I know a couple of guys who do it successfully with a homemade static balance rig - and if you use beads inside to balance, you would be sure of a perfectly balanced tire.
Of course, you'd have to invest in some proper tire irons ...

Another way to save the cost of the install is to do the install yourself. I know a couple of guys who do it successfully with a homemade static balance rig - and if you use beads inside to balance, you would be sure of a perfectly balanced tire.
Of course, you'd have to invest in some proper tire irons ...

I've been youtubing this too.....

Apparently, you just need 2 parallel steel pipes which you can adjust to level. Then balance the wheel with one axle-end on each pipe and let the wheel roll until it's heavy spot is at 6:00. According to my friend, each tire has a white dot which indicates either the heavy spot or the light spot. So you mount the white dot either adjacent to, or opposite, the heavy spot on the wheel and in many cases, you need very little balance weight to finish the job.
My friend says not to trust the common assumption that a wheel's heavy spot is exactly where the valve stem is. It is always close but not necessarily the same.

Apparently, you just need 2 parallel steel pipes which you can adjust to level. Then balance the wheel with one axle-end on each pipe and let the wheel roll until it's heavy spot is at 6:00. According to my friend, each tire has a white dot which indicates either the heavy spot or the light spot. So you mount the white dot either adjacent to, or opposite, the heavy spot on the wheel and in many cases, you need very little balance weight to finish the job.
My friend says not to trust the common assumption that a wheel's heavy spot is exactly where the valve stem is. It is always close but not necessarily the same.

Seems simple enough. Another Newb question. Do I need tubes? The tires say tube/tubeless, but I'm not sure about my rims, they are mag style with 4 solid spokes, not the spoke type, if you know what I mean. So either tubes or valves are needed to do this myself.

Hmmm, may spend the install costs on tools, but then I can have them on hand to do my ATV tires too.......

Then, I could also F up a brand new tire.....

I think the Seca cast wheels will accommodate tubeless - I believe there is wording molded into the wheel somewhere which states it.
If the current tires are mounted without tubes then I think you can use the same valve stem.
Hopefully someone with ACTUAL experience will chime in ...

Re: Canada's Motorcycle: I bought my riding gear through them and was very happy with their service. Good prices, very cheap (read: free) shipping for moderately-sized orders.

So far not impressed. Website says "in stock, shipped within 1-2 days of ordering"
I ordered on Friday June 20, figured would ship by Tuesday, got notice of shipping on Wednesday. They weren't actually picked up from warehouse until Thursday. Canada Post tracking says expected delivery June 27. Today is the 30th, tracking info hasn't changed, "in transit".

So far not impressed. Website says "in stock, shipped within 1-2 days of ordering"
I ordered on Friday June 20, figured would ship by Tuesday, got notice of shipping on Wednesday. They weren't actually picked up from warehouse until Thursday. Canada Post tracking says expected delivery June 27. Today is the 30th, tracking info hasn't changed, "in transit".

once it leaves the store its usually out of their hands. could try calling them and letting them know you are 7 business days out and still no shipment. Maybe they will hook you up with a coupon or something.

its been my experience, at least in the States, everything usually arrives within the window stated when selecting shipping options not always the "expected shipping date".

once it leaves the store its usually out of their hands. could try calling them and letting them know you are 7 business days out and still no shipment. Maybe they will hook you up with a coupon or something.

its been my experience, at least in the States, everything usually arrives within the window stated when selecting shipping options not always the "expected shipping date".

Oh, I understand that. There were no options for shipping, only Canada Post. My point is, if you are going to advertise that you are going to ship an item in 1-2 days, it should be out of your hands in at least 2 days, not 4.........

yea for sure, thats why i hate buying things online on fridays... but for some reason most of my online shopping happens on friday

Got tires on today. Not too bad of a job. Now on to safety.

Took a test run down the road today. Seems to sputter around 3500 rpm to 4000 then it wants to GO! Any thoughts? Carbs?

Most places that say X number of days mean business days. So ordering on a Friday adds two days, Saturday and Sunday are not business days.
I have not bought tires local for 6 or 7 years. And then only because I didn't want to wait.
I have the motor cycle adapter for my Harbor Freight tire machine. It's manual, as is the motor cycle adapter. I do all my own tires, Bike, car, truck, mini bike, garden tractor. Everything.
It works very well. Getting the tire up to waist height helps tremendously.
Much better than on the ground or a milk crate.
I use Dyna Beads for balancing. Best thing ever.
Leo

Back