pilot screw reset

Gotanubike

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So basically I went messing with stuff when I took my carbs off and now the motorcycle runs rich and my plugs are black. The ones you can adjust from the top after the throttle plates. I read in the manual afterwords they are adjusted with specialized equipement so I hope I didn't screw myself..

Also how would I adjust the carbs for a richer mixture for higher rpms? The motor tends to choke out bad at around 6-7k I think because it isn't getting any fuel. It only has 30kkm so I've ruled out floating valves. Would I loosen the pilot jet and air jet equally say half a turn or something??

pilot mix screw (ie a mix of air and fuel) can be adjusted with a tool called a screwdriver. sometimes the adjustment is hidden under a plug to stop peeps messing around with it.

Please leave the air jets alone, you don't need to touch them!

I think you may have some crud in the carb unless you can honestly say you have an inline filter fitted between carb and tank. sometimes the air hole in the tank cap can be blocked causing the fuel to stay in the tank due to vacuum. and the pet cock can reduce flow!

my money is on crud in the carb being disturbed!

Everything inside; bowls, jets, floats, valves are spotless. The only thing is I have no idea what half the bits and parts of a carb actually contribute to, so I just figure loosening stuff will get me some more fuel to get over 6000rpm.

The two main problems for my bike so far have been: trouble at take off(bogs bad unless I feather the clutch). And will basically cut out at 6krpm.

As for the pilot screw, I've read that 2 3/4 to 3 turns out from all the way tight is where to start then adjusted out more from there if needed? If the pilot screw is only for idle to 1/4 throttle I think that may be where the low rpm bogging is coming from.

As for the 6000rpm redline, I'm not sure but I'd like to find out...Maybe a timing issue and would anyone have any pointers on where to start with that?

pilot system runs the bike up to 4k. Please don't over tighten the pilor screw as the tip will snap off on the little hole, just a gentle jesus manouver!

After 4k, then the diaphram /needle jet takes over

wonder if the diaphram has any pin holes and not raising the needles enough? that could explain the 6 k ceiling

Back