pipes and pods - performance change?

Tombo

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering what type of change was noticable when you changed to a new muffler or exhaust system, and pods. I intend to make this change in the future, and I'd like to hear how it changes your ride?

Please name your pod brand, your exhaust brand, and whether you are using the h pipe.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Ok, I'll bite.

I've got a set of cheap "noname" pods and Harley shorty mufflers with universal after market internals (to produce at least a little back pressure). If you by "h-pipe" means the pipe connecting the exhaust pipes under the frame, then no. I cut my pipes before that.

It got a little better throttle responce I think and a bit better acceleration. Mostly due to my new larger jets and richer needle position. Not an incredible improvement though. The sound might trick you to think it's faster, but I don't think it all helped that much..

Thanks for responding! I sort of assume its not that big of a change performance wise, but I am hoping to get some encouragement for my changes - they are aesthetically driven, but also driven by wanting to tinker!

When I say h pipe, I mean the rubber boots connecting the carbs to the stock airboxes.

I really can't tell. As I mentioned before, a bit better throttle response and low end power, but I don't have any dyno results to prove it. Just how it feels.

Emgo pods on the carbs and generic universal fit mufflers with 99% of the baffles removed.

Loud coming and going. Had to drastically increase the jets. Still getting ~5L/100km and seems to run strong. Howls from 7000 to 9000 RPM and pulls right to 10000.

Dave

Back