piston ring 1st over

Well considering the age of the bike I just figured while I had the engine opened up I'd go ahead and start replacing some of the internals as I went and the rings are something that prob need some attention.

Have you downloaded the manual on the tech section?If so what's the matter,if not why not?The ring sets are available on ebay almost everyday.The rings come in sets,ie:top,compression,oil.To find out if you need to replace the rings,remove a ring,insert it squarely with an inverted piston,then measure the gap.If it measures too wide,you must replace the rings and maybe pistons.It's not rocket science,You just need a manual,which you can get free right here,You can put it on a cd-rom or pdf,whatever. lha

Here is my problem I need help withg. I have pulled the engin as of yet

my right cylinder was making a ticking noise when I fired it up this year after sitting stored for 4 months. I puled the plug to see what was the matter and saw something that I can assume is a piston ring sticking up above the piston. I could see this threw the spark plug hole. My bike is a 1979 Xs400. I have only ran my engine for 10 min max with the ticking noise. My question is how much trouble could I be in? Do you think I could get away with just replaying the rings and gaskets?

Keenan

What you saw was the valve. Sounds like they are out of adjustment and the rocker has a bit of play in it.

nice, Just looked at my bike I see it now. Yeah it does look all gummed up. so whats the best way to be fix this. do I still have to pull the engine?

You don't need to pull the engine to adjust the valves. There are a few threads in the forum on how to do this also it's all in the manual. The easiest way to clean the valves is to take the bike on a nice long ride:) Adding some lucas fuel treatment to the gas will help. I have used it for the last 13 years and it works well.

Attachments

• DSC02480.jpg
    DSC02480.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 237
Back