Points conversion to later oem CDI?

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question, the bikes I have had have been points model. I have just bought a heap of junk 81 model with electronic ignition, where is the cdi box supposed to be located? Im hoping it hasnt been picked for parts. Is the electronic ignition a straight swap if you wanna covert the points to electronic ignition or is the loom different?
cheers :)

EDIT: just found all the answers here: https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/18108-upgraded-xs400-to-electronic-ignition/#entry104350

But of course if you have any helpful info or thoughts please share :thumbsup:

Would it be easier to swap the loom out all together rather than splicing everything in?

Last edited:
yeah I thought so with the loom, I was thinking though maybe its not worth to do cause if the cdi goes to crap ill just have to convert it back and I have a few new sets of points that will probs see the bike through for years and years. Is the performance gain much of a difference?

There is a noticeable difference in performance the longer the engine is run. Points wear, transistors either work or they don't.

p.s. Not CDI, rather TCI. There is a big difference to those who know. Getting it wrong proves you don't.

yeah i have no idea electronics aint my thing and I have only had points bikes so have not needed to know how they work

Back