Price guide for Maxims?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm in CT. Do I trust NADA? Wondering what a fair price for a decent shape 82 Maxim is.... Would they run any higher or lower than most xs400's? I assume parts are pretty much the same. Thanks

Heck no! Is the bike ready to ride with all the required inspections and paper work, or is it being sold "as-is"? A "fair price" is what you are willing to pay. Does it have all the bodywork or is it missing the side covers that are impossible to find?

Most parts are different as the Maxim has a DOHC engine and mono-shock rear suspension. Regular maintenance parts are available, but it is getting harder to find OEM engine, suspension and trim parts. They cost more to maintain than a SOHC XS400 due to most parts being obsolete and their limited distribution, so keep that in mind.

At least 300 too high. Those mufflers will be silly loud. It looks like the head gasket is leaking. The clutch pushrod cover appears to be missing. But on the up side, it still has the left cover between the tank and rear fender.

I'd say, if it has good tires, runs and starts well (check the spark plugs if you go take a look), the sprockets and chain are in good shape and the brakes don't need replacement, a fair price point would be 850 dollars. As dave said, those pipes will sound a bit ridiculous most likely, and with the stuff already missing the price drops. A mint condition, stock bike will go for 1100-1300 I'd say.

anything that's not good on it, will reduce the price by its cost (excl labor costs of course)

so for chain+sprockets worn: -130
tires worn: -150
cables: -20 each
battery: -40
brake pads: -30
brake drum shoe: - 30
brake disc: - 60
fork seals leaking: - 30

Back