Question about air filters

xs400newbie

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got a 1981 special II that needs some new air filters. I want to go with stock style. Would I be ordering filters for a xs400H? Are the filters for 78-81 xs400's not all equal? I thought they were. Please confirm.

Thanks.

I have never seen anyone with these filters in stock; several sites list them for sale, but they are not available.

Are your filters missing or are they just worn? If they are worn the foam can be replaced; lots of people do this.

The foam is disintegrating and smells like fuel. Here is a pic. How do I replace the foam?
Vaughan-20120716-00092.jpg
[/IMG]

You can obtain universal air filter foam, cut it to size, and hot glue it over the mesh.

Alright, so I saved a bit of money by restoring the old filters. I cleaned them up and added new foam. Now, do I want to oil this foam? What should I use? This bike will not see much road as my Dad and I no longer ride much, so would dry be ok?
Thanks guys. So far I'm having a blast working on this old machine.
Aurora-20120726-00097.jpg
[/IMG]

To oil the foam, get a paint brush,dip it in some oil,and brush it lightly on the foam. Just put enough on to cover the outside and the motor will spread it out as it runs and any excess will burn off in running. lha

You did a good job.

Sometimes I oil my filters and sometimes I don't. I don't live in a particularly dusty area, however. It can't hurt! What I usually use is a K&N recharge kit; it comes with a cleaner spray and aerosol filter oil. I've only ever used it on K&N products, so I don't know if there is anything in their formula that would harm foam.

Back