RD400

Markkohlenberg

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to the vintage motorcycle world. Meaning I am very new. I bought a run down xs400 in June and have rebuilt it with help from a dear friend with his own machine shop. With that being said I am interested in something a little odd. Perhaps this is a dumb question and I am sure I will find out soon if it is but I wanted to mount a RD400 engine inside the xs400 frame, does anyone know if this is possible? Seems like a very fun project.

Anything is possible I guess. Whey not just find a rd frame. Post pics when you start.

Probably possible, but the stock XS400 frame isn't the sturdiest and the RD400 is quite a bit more motor than the XS...

do it. theyre the same frames. at least the 77' ones are. and the rd400 engine is much tamer then its older smaller sibling the 350

Seems like an interesting project,I would say Id like to see it done.I don't see that with frame modding and an adding extra support that it can be done.Id like to see pics when you start.

The major difference I see in the 2frames is the rd has 2 tubes coming from the neck to the engine cradle where the xs is one and y's.into 2 down past the exhaust.might have issues with the exhaust but will look at some pics of the motors.

Last edited:
Back