Rebuilding fuse box...what gauge wire to use?

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Im gonna finally fix the rats nest of inline fuses on my bike left to me by the previous owner.

Im switching to a small blade style fuse box so I have to cut and solder together all new wires and curious as to what gauge wire I should be using.

What about using 16G? I'm rewiring my whole bike and I got new free 16G wire from my work that we use to wire the electronics in cab's on excavation equipment (radio, power seats, Ect). I striped all the 14G wire off my bike because it was such a rats nest but the wires from my Ignition coils are still 14G. If I solder a 16G wire to a 14G wire will I blow up my Ignition coil or melt the 14G wire to the ignition wire?

You may be ok but with lighter wire you risk over heating the 16ga compared the the 14.

There must be a way to calculate the true requirement. I know they all use the same 14 normally, but I bet only the line with the largest fuse really needs it. The 14 is probably overkill for a line with a 10 amp fuse for example. I'm no electrician though!

Edit:

I found this:

Code:
AWG 	 	 	 	Maximum amps for chassis wiring 	Maximum amps for power transmission 		
14 	 	 	 	32 	 	 	 	 	 	5.9
16 	 	 	 	22 	 	 	 	 	 	3.7

I believe this application would be considered "chassis wiring" and as such 16 gauge is right at its max on the 20 amp line. I would go with 14 just like Yamaha did. Any kind of surge on that 20 amp line in the fuse box and the fuse isn't just going to blow; it will definitely melt the wire. Prolonged use might melt it too since you're running at/near the max.

Last edited:
do you have thinwall wire in the states? its thinner but can carry more amps due to superior sheathing

Back