Recommending a good "acceptably loud" muffler

bakeLit

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there guys, so I'm gathering stuff for my winter build and I've been looking through some mufflers and I wanted to ask you. I'm looking for a piece that's loud enough to turn heads yet not too loud for peaceful travelling. How are for example the Emgo Reverse Cones or Shorty Mufflers? Any suggestions with your own experience or sound clips? Thank you!

What maybe considered reasonably to one person may not be considered reasonably loud for you :wink2:How does a person answer that question there isn't an easy answer.Somebody may like the sound of Harley turn outs with the baffles punched which I had it was loud but not within my reasoning.:laugh:Oh and it definitely turned heads.Personal from what I read on the forum a lot of people seam to like the emgo shorties.

Would it be possible to set a scale of say, 1 being a stock set up as 10 being straight open pipes?

I am curious as well, personally I would like something that gives a good throaty growl (is that possible with these bikes) while staying close to the stock loudness.

I can say that the Emgo Shortie mufflers dont really do much muffling. They are very loud especially once the thin fiberglass packing material burns up after a week or so.

but they are not so loud they bother me when im riding. Cant say the same for my neighbors...

I just installed a pair of HD FXD1340 (Dyna? Super Glide?) mufflers. They are heavy, but flow well and are reasonably quiet. Nice deep tone and ALL the noise is out the back. They don't sound like tin cans rattling as the cheap mufflers do. I do wear ear plugs when riding, but now I can hear the tiny flashlight on my jacket's zipper pull rattling in the wind. Never heard that before with the cheap mufflers I've tried.

Similar to these mufflers. Best $20 I've spent on the bike in a while, except for gas of course! I love automotive swap meets. :D

Dave those are indentical to what I found for my bike last year,I love them,even with the beffles punched out they would be considered acceptable in my reasoning anyways.My are stock haven't been punch out they quiet must be an old age thing.

Good one:) If you want to save some money you could always drill a few small 1/4" holes in the back of your stock system. The bike would be louder but you would have to re-tune the bike for the drop in back pressure.

Dave those are indentical to what I found for my bike last year,I love them,even with the beffles punched out they would be considered acceptable in my reasoning anyways.My are stock haven't been punch out they quiet must be an old age thing.

I think they have a nice sound to them without being modified. They are designed for a 1340cc engine, so need to modify them when fitted to a 400. They will flow plenty well enough.

Wait a second... Who are you calling old??? :laugh:

Back