Replacement Slide Diaphrams /Slide Orientation

jmd_forest

Bldg 1980 XS400 Cafe Bike
Reaction score
The original slide diaphrams had a small tab on the outside rim of the diaphram that fit into a cutout in the carb body to orient the slide during installation. Replacement diaphrams do not, at least not the ones in my carbs. Unfortunately, I did not note the orientation of the slide prior to removal and even if I did, I have no confidence the PO got it right.

I remember reading there is a proper way to install the slide into the slide body using the hole in the bottom of the brass slide as a reference point. I have spent the past several hours searching dozens if not hundreds of threads on this site trying to find the answer. I'm hoping someone can tell me if the hole in the bottom of the slide is supposed to point towards the engine or the air filters when installing the slide.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Well I just looked at my two spare set of carbs with factory slides and the holes on the bottom of the slides are in different positions. Not sure about the carbs on the bike the slides are factory, and without pulling a bunch of stuff off I can't tell where the holes are. I would just run it the way they are and see.:shrug:

xschris, thanks for taking the time to look and Charles, thank you for a definitive response. I thought I remember the holes goes towards the engine but my memory was not clear. The carbs are separated into a million pieces in muffin tins at the moment but I'll be sure to orient the hole towards the engine during assembly tomorrow.

My ocd kicked in and I had to check the carbs on my bike. Sure enough the hole are facing the engine:laugh: I guess I will have to cut the tabs on the other sets of carbs so they face the right way as well:doh: Its weird that 4 other factory slides would be wrong.:confused:

I tried that and they don't move at all. The one set where on my bike for years and worked fine so I don't know, Oh well no big deal.:bike:

Back