Replacing Rear Brake Master with After market.

TimBuz

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm currently in the process of stripping my bike down and seeing what needs to be fixed or replaced. Front master has a crack through the reservoir and is looking pretty crappy after 30 odd years so that will be getting replaced with new master and levers which is simple enough to source.

However the rear master is completely frozen, devoid of fluid and corroded. Ive seen threads on rebuilding these, replacing the piston etc but with the cost and effort of a rebuild kit it seems like I could source a brand new unit from a different bike for not much more cash. It seems the main difference between the xs400's rear master and modern rear master cylinders are the change in mounting point spacing. The xs at a rough guess looks to be around 50-55mm whilst most modern masters are at 40mm.

Another plus for an aftermarket master and remote reservoir would be the ease by which it could be adapted to rearsets, which I plan on installing after the bike passes a pit inspection as they can be a little funny over here with modifications.

So in summary:
1. Any obstacles to overcome in changing to a different master apart from welding new tabs in the stock location to address the mounting issue.
2. What is the piston size for the stock rear caliper?
3. Stock master for my bike was 5/8" or around 15.6 mm would there be too much of a difference in pedal feel if i changed to a 14mm or 13mm similar to this brembo unit http://japan.webike.net/products/20296718.html

Back