Reviving a dead battery that wont charge

mcrowell75

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was working on the bike in the driveway yesterday. I was using the electric start a lot. I know I drained the battery down quite a bit.

I knew in the back of my head I needed to put the battery on the charger when I was done. Instead, like a noob, I put the bike away and left the key in the ON position.:doh:

Now I have a dead battery that my charger is refusing to charge. I keeps giving me the "fault" light.

My multi-meter is giving me a reading of 10-11 volts.

Can this battery be saved? I just bought it last winter.

You should be able to save it. I have 4 battery chargers. 3 are automatic "smart" chargers and one is a manual charger that I use for electrolysis. Sometime the smart chargers think the battery is bad so I have to charge it for a bit with the manual charger. After a while, I put it on my BatteryMinder Plus charger which charges and desulfates the battery and brings it back to life. The BatteryMinder is a good charger but it is most picky about batteries with low voltage.

See: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101

You can "carefully" hook up the battery to a car battery for a short while just for 30 seconds to a minute,then hook up the smart charger,and see if it starts charging.If it doesn't charge,do the jump thing again for a longer time,as it shouldn't hurt anything to hook it up for a few minutes.Good luck. lha

Back