Running bad on WOT - did plug chops but need input

Stabler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I just got the XS400 vacuum synced and strobe timed. New oil and new plugs about 35 miles ago.

The problem is it wont pull well at WOT. At low and mid range it runs as it should. At WOT it coughs and looses power. If I let back on the throttle to about mid range, it picks right up and pulls strong again.
When I first rode it after syncing it, it took about 2 miles to get it to fire on cyl 1. After that it has performed as mentioned above. I'm thinking fuel issues since it's just been strobe timed and it works great at idle, low and mid range - and a lean condition is what I'm thinking. Now the thing is, I did a plug chop right after running it at WOT (where it runs really bad) and this is what I got:

Cyl 2

Cyl 1

In my book, these plugs show a rich condition..

Could it be that I'm getting to much gas into the cylinders and it "drowns" the plugs, causing it not to fire at WOT? That seems a bit far fetched by me.

Anyone with any bright ideas? Or that recognize this issue?

Thanks in advance, Stabler.

Thanks guys.

I'm running open pipes and pods. Just changed from some cheapo chinese pods to Emgos. I think my new pods may restrict air flow some more than my previous pods, hence the rich and poor running.

I'll get some more and smaller main jets and go from there.

Thanks again guys.

Back