Searching for Mikuni BS34 float drain plug

HoughMade

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My 1979 XS400F has the standard Mikuni BS34 CV carbs. When I was draining my carbs last fall to put the XS400 up for the winter, one of the brass float drain plugs, which had been pretty rounded off when I got the bike, got even more boogered up. I would like to replace it as I am readying the bike for the road again.

Mikes XS lists them, but they are not currently available. Where else can I look- preferably the U.S.?

Also, I was thinking of seeing if I can just find a stainless bolt with the same threads and cut it to size. Anyone do that?

Any ideas of where to buy or how to make one would be appreciated.

Thanks.

i tried to get one of these from yamaha a while back (discontinued) and i think they where like 12 or 14$ each.:yikes: these where also used on the 1980 xs650 as well.:thumbsup:

i find that speed and sport charges about 20% more than retail for there stuff, but always has it is stock.:)

nope 1977-79 they had bolts on the bottom of the bowls 80-82 they had screws.

Last edited:
If anyone's interested, the drain plug is 8mm x 1.00 (fine pitch). I will be cutting down a bolt to fit and will see how that works for now. If it works, 90 cents and a little time with the Dremel cutoff wheel, and sanding drum is better than whatever they charge for a new one.

If anyone's interested, the drain plug is 8mm x 1.00 (fine pitch). I will be cutting down a bolt to fit and will see how that works for now. If it works, 90 cents and a little time with the Dremel cutoff wheel, and sanding drum is better than whatever they charge for a new one.
Nice! Let us know how it works!

My home made (HoughMade) drain plugs work fine, but I hate having steel plugs in the aluminum bowl. I'm afraid that if I tighten a bit much, I'll strip the bowl. So, I found out Mikes XS now has the plugs in, so I got a pair. Less of a chance of problems with brass.

I ordered the BS38 plugs which are the right ones. All I can figure is that the older BS34s are similar to the BS38 of the same age. The parts listed at Mikes XS for the BS34 must be for a later model.

Back