Shinko 705's: What'd you think?

keith

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My 1977 xs360 is set for some new tires. I really like the shinko 705's.
Has anybody out there given these a shot?
Bonus question!
I've got the 18in spoked wheels, what size would be a good compromise between the fatty tire cafe racer look and functionality?
I was thinking 120/80 - 18 for the rear and front? am I way off? :confused:
Thanks!

-K

You can probably get away with the 120 on the rear. Width wise you will be fine, but take into account that the 120/80 has a height of 96mm. Make sure it won't slam into the seatpan at full travel. 120 for the front? No way. I don't have stock forks anymore so someone else will have to give you the numbers, but I don't even think a 120 will clear the fork width, and I'm positive it will hit your fender or fork brace (you want dual sport tires, I'm guessing you'll be going off road sometime, so you'll still have a fender, right?). I'd stick around 90-100 in the front.

Thanks for the info! I don't know why I find motorcycle tire size so dang confusing! It looks like a 110/90 doesn't come in the 18in wheel size. Would 4.10 -18 on front and back work? If it does work it that going to be so wide I start to lose agility?
Thanks again!

-K

On tires marked as xxx/xx/xx, its width in millimeters, second number is ratio so its a percentage of the width that equals the height, and third number is rim size. (generally)

On tires listed as xxx-xx its width and height in inches, then rim size. (generally)

These numbers are not always exact between manufacturers either. Best thing to do is check on the tire makers site, it will give exact numbers.

Back