Shorty Cafe exhaust

I bought these from:

http://www.nichecycle.com/

This company shipped my mufflers 2 hours after paying for them online.

They are fairly loud and sound good, but I replaced the crappy muffler packing before ever putting them on.

You will need to weld them on or make relief cuts in combination with strong clamps and ultra copper silicone. They will not fit in combination with the stock copper gaskets or clamps. I will emphasize that the metal is very strong and will not clamp on without parallel relief cuts.

If you put these on you will have to jet your carbs.

Any other questions?

Dime city is legit. You will need to rejet if you are going from stock to these. I would suggest extenting your header pipe a bit an angling it up 15 degrees or so for aesthetics, but you could just clamp-on, rejet and go for broke if you were so inclined.

Bcware, when you installed the muffler what modifications were required to mount the muffler? Or was it just a straight bolt on other than the welding it up to the header pipe?

I cut and clamped mine on. These mufflers come with a blank bracket that pivots; I simply drilled a hole in the bracket and mounted it to the stock location below the passenger foot pegs.

Alright sounds good. That"s what I was thinking about doing judging from the pictures of the mufflers. Sorry to pick your brain but what did you rejet to after you got them installed?

I am going to try to bring this thread back to the light.....what size clamps for these things? I ordered 1/2" because I read that someone else used that size on their xs400. They seem to be too small. Is this user error? Also, when you cut the mufflers off, did you do any filing to the cut end? This is my first time messing with anything exhaust so I am a bit lost.

I am going to try to bring this thread back to the light.....what size clamps for these things? I ordered 1/2" because I read that someone else used that size on their xs400. They seem to be too small. Is this user error? Also, when you cut the mufflers off, did you do any filing to the cut end? This is my first time messing with anything exhaust so I am a bit lost.

That's sometimes the problem with these forums ... posts get so old, members move on, websites posted in 2011 are no longer functional etc. I like the price of these shorty mufflers certainly over the $300 MAC 2-1 system (although I have heard a lot of good remarks on it). But yea, I'm looking to do a short system not something that runs all the way to the rear axle.

Good luck!

- J

Son/Father team here in the middle of installing these exact same mufflers on our 1981. Stock pipes have to be cut, as they are a welded unit side to side. Son out looking for adapter at this point. Will most likely end up welding adapter on header side first then welding muffler onto header after mounting is taken into consideration. our year bike has the pipe in a pipe design exhaust. We are for sure open to ideas however.

Back