Spec for a 78 XS400 2E

cody1awesome

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the Haynes manual (which lists almost all of the settings for my bike in the back on 9 pages,) my 78 2E has preset pilot air screws. I replaced them as part of my carb rebuild, so now I have absolutely no idea how many turns out to set them at. The other models are listed at 3.5, 2.75, 1.25, and 1.5 turns out. Will any of these work for me? Or should I just adjust the butterflies with a needle and maybe leave it be, like bench syncing? Also, since I'm here, are these valve adjustments clearances right?

Inlet: 0.08-0.12mm
Exhaust: 0.16-0.20mm

Finally, how do I adjust the drum brakes? I mean, I know how to adjust them, but is there a certain measurement that I'm going for, or is it all based on feel? I'm going to be giving this thing my first try at running in almost a year and I just spent a whole day cleaning and rebuilding the carbs.

Sorry if this is long winded or not clear, but I've put a lot of time into this thing, and while it's far from complete (I need to paint the tank, fix the fenders, and work on the side covers) I would like to at least make sure it will still run, seeing as how it ran before I started dismantling the whole thing.

Back