Static timing always reads closed?

nbriles2000

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a weird issue tuning up my bike for some spring riding and I can't seem to find out why its doing this! I just replaced the points and gapped at .15 and now I'm trying to get the timing squared away and it always reads as if the circuit is closed. I'm using a multimeter on the setting that beeps when a circuit is complete and no matter where I turn the engine the damn thing always says the circuit is complete...

I'm following the instructions on

I also have no idea how to check the valve gap. I pulled off the tappet covers and dinked around for a minute in there and I couldn't figure out where the hell to measure! :shrug:

Just follow the manual for the valve ajustments. You need to rotate the crank to specified spots from the manual, then place a feeler guage to specified thickness under the tappet and loosen or tighten accordingly (undo lock off bolt on top before adjusting). You want the feeler guage to fit in there snug but still pulls back and forth without resistance. Basically you want it as tight as you can go just before the feeler guage starts to get stuck from tightening. Once correct lock it off with the bolt on the top.

I followed that same video for timing and it worked treat for me. I also made up the globe tool he is using in the video, pretty easy to jigga up and easy to use :)

The only thing I can suggest if you're having trouble is to try a different indicator (like a light bulb) to verify. Second, make sure when you are clamping on to one of the points you are not coming in contact with anything else; if you touch anything else other than the flexible metal ribbon arm it will show a complete circuit.

In the past I had trouble using certain test lights and other simpler ones worked perfectly fine.

I was having the same issue. There are 2 ways to check and 2 meters you can use to check it with. A 12 volt test light from battery positive to the outer bent metal piece of each left and right side points. The 12 volt light is meant to light up when each point makes contact. The crank is manually lined up with marks LF left fire(first) and RF right fire(second). The points should open and the 12v test light will go on as they are not grounded out and immediate release if set properly when crossing each line. The other meter you can use is a continuity tester and will work though less accurate can get you workable results. Same scenario only the one end to left or right points and other to ground. I have found them less accurate due to internal battery so the light never truly went out brighter and dimmer but changes should occur in the same spots anyway if set right. Setting points is only good to you if the valves are adjusted. Valve covers off, drain the oil, remove spark plugs and left side round cover. Valve adjustments are set out at the LT left top dead center, and RT right top dead center. The reason the plugs are out is to rotate the bolt under left side cover counter clockwise only for all adjustments and this will allow you to do so without fighting compression, and as well you can insert a long clean plastic straw in each spark plug hole to see when each piston is moving to the compression stroke where each adjustment needs to be set. So rotating the crank check all 4 rocker arms have movement an the inlet and exhaust valves. Then crank it until you are in the compression stroke fir the left side. The left straw should be pushing out of the spark plug hole and the arrow should be dead on LT. With a light to the valve cover hole you should be able to see a nut overtop a philips adjustable bolt. Basically contact breakers under these caps. Loosen the nut, and tighten the bolt or loosen until you get within feeler gauge specs. Perhaps someone can post the inlet and outlet specs I dont have them handy. So the order as follows. Check all 4 rocker arms, adjust left valve inlet at LT, rotate, adjust left valve outlet (exhaust) at LT, rotate, check right valve inlet at RT, rotate, check right valve outlet (exhaust). Then when you think its good check them all again in that same order to make sure. Now you can set the points. Left side first with the LF mark on compression stroke and again on the right side RF mark on compression stroke. When readings are good you should be able to rotate and inspect these 6 areas without having to make more adjustments.

Inspect everything along the way on mine I have found cracked valve covers from over tightening, the off round dowel at the center of the points plate that decides when left and right open was off 180 degrees ( it is beveled slightly and resting on a square peg that rotates it with the crank). Until installed correctly setting timing was impossible as not enough wire to rotate the plate 180 degrees so the dowel had to be the answer. And lastly I am in the process of rewiring the stator and feild coil as Ive come across another issue with bridged wires there. Hope this helps get you going or at least to know you dont have issues in these areas. You may need to prop up your fuel tank for the valve adjustments.

...on second thought not sure which is which but I think the light goes out across the LF and RF marks or it comes on depending on what meter is used. Weather to battery positive or ground. The whole point no pun intended is that the meter changes across the line as the contacts open or break, you should be able to see the changes on the meter and visually on the breaker at the respective firing marks. Take your time and it will come together for you. Also make sure everything is clean around the points, isypropol alcohol and q tips. If you lube the cam wick dont get the oil on anything else In there and be careful what oil to use. Some kinds will cause the points to operate innefficiently. One last thing that can occur is The points wires may be frayed, not insulated properly where they are attached or the clips or perhaps the connectors for the wires are touching the points cover when put back together. I didnt invent this stuff butblike a good jedi I studied off the masters here. Let us know how it goes.

...on second thought not sure which is which but I think the light goes out across the LF and RF marks or it comes on depending on what meter is used.

When I use a light bulb, the bulb goes out when LF/RF is reached. The bulb will be lit just prior to reaching LF and RF. This makes sense, because the points should open at the same moment LF and RF is reached. The spark is delivered when the points open. I believe it is charging via the coils and condenser when they are closed (touching).

Right, when the points are closed they ground the coils. This charges the coils. When the points open the coils discharge through the plugs.
Leo

wondering if you have made any progress with this nbriles2000? I just rewired the stator and field coil to find some pinched wires may have been the cause of my troubles. When I did my points my cheap continuity tester light was on only to get brighter at advance timing then went out after the LF and RF marks. Everything must be done on the compression stroke, valves on the left intake, left exhaust, right intake and right exhaust while rotating between each adjustment. same with left then right points after the valves are set. killswitch should be in the run position, and I like the cheapo meter as opposed to the 12v so I can disconnect the battery. If you want to clean the contacts I always like isopropyl alcohol and q tips cause some kinds of oil or grease will cause conductivity when you don't want it (things like flux if you are soldering). I cleaned my valves lightly when I wan in there too. and the starter motor of excess carbon this way.

side question, how likely is it that the condenser would ever go bad? Its just a big capacitor correct? maybe just snug up the ground to engine as an adjustment? How would a condenser issue be isolated if one existed? Just in case anyone was wondering as I am.

With the bike running watch the points, with a bad condenser you will see a lot of sparking as the points open and close.
If bad enough, the side the points runs will have a weak spark.
A condenser is a fairly hardy piece of equipment, seldom fails.
Oh, yes a condenser is a capacitor.
Leo

To prevent, or at least significantly reduce, the arcing at the Contact Breaker (CB), a condenser or capacitor is connected between the contacts of the CB and therefore between the ends of the LT winding.
By contrast to a coil that tries its best to prevent changes in electrical current through it, a capacitor tries its best to prevent changes in voltage across it.

Put the two together and they dance or resonate with each other at a particular rate dictated in part by the capacitance of the capacitor. (that's the micro farad rating)

Back