Trans popped out of 6th gear

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I drove 30 Miles home from work on the interstate 65-70 mph, then when I got off on my exit and shifted back up through gears to sixth, after about quarter Mile it popped out of gear and revved way up! It Def was not slipping I pushed it back up into gear. The bike is an 82 sohc with 8100 Miles on it, I'm on my second oil change with shell 15-40 non synthetic, just plain desiel oil. Both ends of cable is adjusted per the manual and it shifts smooth and grabs nice, how long Will clutch pads last assuming the bike was not abused by the po? Could worn pads even be the issue. I have driven this bike almost daily since it's been nice and have never had this happen.

It might have been just one of those flukes that happen once in a while but I never heard of that happening before.
I just ride as normal and hope it doesn't happen again.If it does then its time to investigate.

buzz I'm close to you in mosinee, tomorrow I have a meeting in plover so I hope it won't happen again have to take the interstate all the way there.

When the weather get warmer I would switch over to a 20w-50 MA rated bike oil. Walmart carries Valvoline motorcycle oil for around $3.50 a quart and it works fine.

Back