Tube or Tubeless - ultimate question

overpl

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,
I've read few threads about my question (tube/less my rims are) but still cannot find proper answear. I've read somewhere that alu-rims are always tubeless but in another thread I've read that it must say - tubeless to be a tubless rim - now I don't know If I have tube or not lol... - I know I have tubless tires - but do I have tubless rims as well?

XS400 - DOHC 12E - 1987y

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 151
It should say on the rim if they are suitable for tubeless tires. Most after 1980 are.

Hi,
I've read few threads about my question (tube/less my rims are) but still cannot find proper answear. I've read somewhere that alu-rims are always tubeless but in another thread I've read that it must say - tubeless to be a tubless rim - now I don't know If I have tube or not lol... - I know I have tubless tires - but do I have tubless rims as well? XS400 - DOHC 12E - 1987y
Cześc, dzień dobry.

The Manual on this site for the '82 Seca makes only one reference to tire type. I've attached a composite. Given that it was written in 1981, it may well be they anticipated most owners would use tube tires. It doesn't say that Yamaha shipped the bikes from the factory with tube tires, but one could presume so.

What's on the bike now? ... Second pic is of spokes.

Attachments

• From 82 Seca Manual.JPG
    From 82 Seca Manual.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Spoked wheel.JPG
    Spoked wheel.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 152
I dont have spokes than - i attached the pic of my wheel
Yes. You have a Seca like the manual on here is for. They stopped sending them to N. America in 1984 but made them for Europe for 4 o4 5 more years. They must have redone the manual at least once for Europe and one of those might well give better info on the wheel and tire recommendations.

I tried to search manual other than that one here in manuals section - but no luck:/ Is there a way to recognize if I have a tube installed in my tire? Tire is tubless but there is nothing about tube/or less on the rim..

Maybe there is an appearance difference between a tubeless tire valve stem and the valve stem from a tube, but if there is, I don't know, sorry. Maybe someone else will know.
Short of breaking a bit of the bead with a tire iron and peaking inside, I'm afraid I don't have anything.

Yea I have those rims, I have a tubeless in there now. Not sure how you would find out if you have a tube without taking the tires off

actually, if you have tubeless tires on it now, you probably have no tube. Must be an idiot mechanic to put tubes in a tubeless tire on a rim which can carry tubeless, right?

IF it can carry a tubless tire without a tube - if it is a tubeless rim - than yeah - sb would be an idiot;) and I don't care if there is a tube inside - as long as they are for sure tubless rims:) - are they?:)

Well I certainly hope so since I have a tubeless in there haha

But I didn't put it in, a mechanic did it for me. I don't have the tools to balance wheels and stuff. So I'm guessing he knew what he was doing when he put a tubeless on, so the rims should be suited for tubeless.

I don't have a dohc 400 but here is what a tubeless valve stem looks like. Notice the plate at the bottom a tubed one won't have it. Your rim should say on one of the spokes suitable for tubeless tires. Now its not to say that someone else put a tube in the tire tho :shrug:

Attachments

• DSC02003.jpg
    DSC02003.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC02004.jpg
    DSC02004.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 201
Back