Ulocking power with camshaft

amkxxx

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I own 27hp 1981 xs400 se and I'm thinking of buying a camshaft from 38hp version. Will it take some more modifications to ulock 38hp?

If the 38hp version is a DOHC, plan on buying the cam...another cam...the head....the cylinders...the crankcase...and the frame.

The xs360 cam/bike has the 27hp motor (seen the dyno sheet) The sohc xs400 is around 38hp. Some euro sohc xs400 bikes where restricted to 27hp. Those had xs360 cams and or also restricted intake manifolds. Jetting also in the carbs. U.S. bikes never came this way so I only know from what I have read.

Last edited:
do you have a source of that information? I have only discussed it with some people and also I found a cam that is from xs400 thats supposed to have 38hp and is not dohc

Dyno sheet for the xs360. Keep in mind the 80-84 xs650 only made 42hp :wink2: Most sohc 400cc bikes of the time made around 38hp The 82-84 DOHC xs400 was around 42hp.

Attachments

• 1977-yamaha-xs360-2d-road-test-4.jpg
    1977-yamaha-xs360-2d-road-test-4.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Sorry for grave digging this old thread. Been musing over cams and have been led to believe that the xs360 came out with two cams a 34hp and a 27hp I can get a new cam that is listed as 34hp I think duration and lift change and am assuming jetting would be required which is no problem we have all the tuning gear.

7hp is a bit of differnce in little bike and my road weight is now sub 140kg and i am off the pies :)
I have two xs360 manual down loads both with different HP ratings. I know that Euro export models were restricted to 27hp or under for a lot of small bikes.
So my question to XS Chris is will really get 6 or 7hp out of a xs360 Sharp cam or am I better of finding a 400 cam? given as you say it drops straight in with only tuning to follow.
Is the "international 360 34hp cam" a mythical beast ?
Cheers DG

You never know with all the different setups for all over the world. I would look for a xs400 top end a do a swap. I am not sure a xs400 cam would work on a xs360 motor as it may have too much lift and could have issues with valve and piston clearances. I don't think this has been or a least I don't remember hearing about it.

I updated my posts as I have more info than I had then.

I have a 400 cam that I picked up for my 360. I havent gotten around to installing it yet but I believe I read somewhere that they were the same. If they were different, I was planning on installing it and simply turning the crank over a few times to make sure it didnt hit.

ok I have found out some info as far as 360s go. There were two versions one is 27hp and one 34hp the heads and cams are slightly different
1l9 prefix models have 34hp cams and the 1u4 have 27hp cams and were released for the European market generally

Mine is the 1l9 so I would only get a modest increase with a 400 head as mine is now bored out to 366, ported, open exhaust, and rejetted it would be a whole 1.5 hp over stock :yikes: maybe..

Last edited:
Back